Topic: Leaky "97?" with picture

Flatbob    -- 09-11-2011 @ 10:57 AM
  Took the '36 out for a drive and drove the snot out of it, literally! Popped the hood and noticed the carb is leaking, the gasoline residue on carb. was gummy, not fresh. Is this to be expected with the 97 carb? I have 270 miles on the engine. The carb has been rebuilt with new accelerator pump, I mention accelerator pump because that looks like where the fuel is coming from.

supereal    -- 09-11-2011 @ 1:14 PM
  I would suspect that the accelerator pump packing wasn't fuel proof, or the plug under the pump chamber is the source of the seepage.

JM    -- 09-11-2011 @ 2:13 PM
  Do you know how much pressure the fuel pump is putting out to the carb? If it is over 2 to 2-1/2 psi the float/needle valve may be allowing too much gas into the carb fuel bowl. The float could also be set wrong allowing too much gas to enter carb.

JM

Flatbob    -- 09-11-2011 @ 2:18 PM
  Super, will replace accelerator pump & check plug; seems to me I recall a post about accelerator pump that has to be resistant to new fuels. I'll search around and see who can supply me with one. Thanks for the help. Bob

Flatbob    -- 09-11-2011 @ 4:11 PM
  JM, am using a stock repo. fuel pump & assumed fuel pressure to be in the 2-2 1/2 psi range, perhaps I should check the pressure. I did adjust the float level & am inclined to believe that's the more likely scenario as to what might be wrong. I may send the carb. to the guy in Utah; that way I'll know it's right. Thanks for your insight. Bob

JM    -- 09-12-2011 @ 6:25 AM
  Flatbob, check the fuel pressure coming out of that reproduction FP. It's a known problem that the spring under the diaphragm, on some repro FP's, is made of a heavier spring material and exerts more force on the diaphragm, as compared to the originals, and this = higher fuel pressure to the carburetor. I believe some of the FP manufacturers tried to standardize on a spring/spring material that they are using in more modern, higher pressure FP's. The last FP rebuild kits that I bought had these higher force springs included. I had to use springs from old original FP's to get these kits to work properly in '47-'48 glass bowl FP's that I was rebuilding. It would have been the same issue in the earlier steel cap FP's.
Regarding Carburetors, the man from Utah (U.M.) is probably the best there is on Stromberg's IMO.

JM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3732