Topic: electrical system schematic for '40 Ford Tudor

dixiejak    -- 09-09-2011 @ 4:17 PM
  I am in need of a place to buy, copy etc a good electrical system schematic layout (preferably large copy) for my '40 Ford Tudor Std. Will have to rewire the dash and all lights. Someone went crazy with a pair of snips and then left just enough wiring connected for the dang engine to operate. Groan ! In among a few new parts that came with my recent purchase of this car, the seller had what appears to be the main harness (new) for under the dash and I assume, on out the firewall to the engine bay, with male plug end hookups, but no instructions or diagrams. Any help or ideas on this undesireable chore will be deeply appreciated. Jim Kirkland (dixiejak)

CharlieStephens    -- 09-09-2011 @ 5:41 PM
  There should be one in the instruction manual (the small book that came with the car). I assume there is one in the Restoration Guidelines book from the club. If you don't have those try http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/FH_images/FH_electrical-pics/Flathead_Electrical_wirediagram1940car.jpg

Charlie Stephens

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-09-2011 @ 5:45 PM
  dixiejak
the way I look at it you need a wiring kit to rewire your car,,
I use RHODE ISLAND WIRING, they have one of the best if not the best on the market
there kits have excellant diagrams that anybody can follow, also if you call them for help they will be there compared to other suppliers, that only know the part number and do not have a clue how to wire a car
You can call 401-789-1955
or www.riwire.com
Hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

supereal    -- 09-10-2011 @ 8:02 AM
  Jim: I am attaching two diagrams for your 40 standard. As we can attach only one diagram per reply, there will be two pages, one a schematic, the other a "pictorial", which includes insets to help connect under the dash. Be aware that many repro wiring harnesses don't strictly follow the factory colors, and some contain extra wiring to accomodate several models. Be sure to inquire before you order.

supereal    -- 09-10-2011 @ 8:03 AM
  Here is page two.

TomO    -- 09-10-2011 @ 8:38 AM
  Jim,

If your "new" dash wiring harness does not have the cloth covering, I would order a new one from Rhode Island or Narragansett reproductions. They are made with the right gauge wire and each wire is tagged with its location. The ones that do not have the cloth covering may have the wrong gauge wire and the wire may not be the correct length, leaving you with a mess under your hood and dash.

You will need a cowl and dash harness, a headlight harness, a tail and stop light harness and a dome light harness to completely rewire your car. If you have the right side taillight, you will also need the crossover harness.

Tom

dixiejak    -- 09-10-2011 @ 9:01 PM
  Wow! Charlie, Ragtopman, supereal and Tom, did you guys come through or what! Fantastic info and I can use every bit of it. The "main" new harness that I referred to is in fact cloth covered and appears to be new and of good quality construction. I was really impessed with Rhode Island Wiring's website that was full of good poop on the various wire areas of the '40.
The two diagrams are really appreciated too, and I am sure I will need to supplement what I already have, with several more harness areas as you have suggested. Thanks again for such good stuff. (and fast too). Jim (dixiejak)

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3722