Topic: Front Coil Spring Spacer 1951 Ford Convertible

eugenelarson@cox.net    -- 09-05-2011 @ 8:28 PM
  I am restoring a 1951 Ford Convertible and find that the front coil springs have 3 hard rubber spacers inserted between the coils on each coil. I can't find any information on spacers or why they are there. Are they necessary or are they there because the coils are weak? Any information will help.

ford38v8    -- 09-05-2011 @ 9:17 PM
  They are aftermarket. You may remove them and replace your shocks, then you will have a better idea of whether you need to replace the springs.

Alan

kubes40    -- 09-06-2011 @ 6:27 AM
  Alan offered you good advice. Those spacers were common up through the late 1960's. Guys used them to prop up worn out springs vs. going to the trouble / cost of replacing the springs.
There's little doubt the springs are worn and if you want to restore the correct height of your car and especially the ride stability, plan on replacing the springs. It is not a difficult job with the correct tools.

proxie35    -- 09-06-2011 @ 4:25 PM
  eugene, go to www.shoeboxford.com You will find alot of
advice & help on your 51 Shoebox. Sherrel

eugenelarson@cox.net    -- 09-06-2011 @ 8:54 PM
  Thanks for the advice on the coil spring spacers. I will plan on replacing the coil springs as I suspected the spacers may be the result of weak coils.

Gene

supereal    -- 09-08-2011 @ 10:57 AM
  Those spacers were sold by places such as Western Auto. They were designed to aid tired springs, and to avoid "bottoming" if the car was lowered by trimming part or all of a coil, usually with a torch. Convertibles, in particular, had problems with spring bottoming due to the increased weight of the reinforced frame. Chances are that more than the springs, alone, will need to be replaced in the front end assembly, such as control arm bushings, etc, and the shocks.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3712