Topic: radials on 36

jerry weiser    -- 09-05-2011 @ 6:44 PM
  im thinking of putting radial tires on my stock 36. should i use tubes? what should i know?

weezer

MG    -- 09-05-2011 @ 7:52 PM
  jerry,

I recently put 600/16 Steel Belted Radials from Coker on my '37. I did use tubes as I was advised the tires beads would not seat/seal properly on the wide five wheels. I'm very impressed with the improved ride and steering/handling. I inflate them to 35 pounds. I will never go back to bias ply tires on this car.

I might add here that I was so impressed with the radials on my '37, I installed a set of BF Goodrich Steel Belted Radials (without tubes) on my '53 with the same impressive results. The '53 tended to wander with the bias ply tires I had on it but no longer with the radials - better ride, better handling. If I could find 17 inch radials for my '34, I would have radials on it as well........MG

This message was edited by MG on 9-6-11 @ 1:07 PM

JM    -- 09-05-2011 @ 9:08 PM
  I have radials on two of my '35's. One set of Coker 600x16 www and another set from Diamondback black walls 750x16 on rear and 550x16 on front. I'm using tubes in both sets. They made a huge difference in handling as compared to the bias ply tires that I had been running on these cars. Both of these cars are drivers. They are not trailer queen show cars. You will probably get differing opinions here on radial vs. bias tires but I am sold on radials.

JM

This message was edited by JM on 9-5-11 @ 9:11 PM

BERTHA    -- 09-06-2011 @ 10:24 AM
  "You will probably get differing opinions here on radial vs. bias tires but I am sold on radials."

Yep....
On our second set of Coker bias WW's on "Bertha" our 53 Vic.
I'm sure the quality of the Coker bias tires are much better than the OEM's, and it just feels right driving like they built 'em.
The first set I ran with tubes, second set tubeless, have had no problems using the original wheels.

Not sure how accurate it is but I have heard that the radials put more lateral strain on the wheels. Make sense??

Bob

---

"it's only original once""

This message was edited by BERTHA on 9-6-11 @ 10:26 AM

supereal    -- 09-06-2011 @ 11:20 AM
  Radials have more sidewall flex than bias ply tires, but predictions of rim failure have not come true, so far. It is important that all front end components (king pins, tie rod ends, etc) must be in good shape to help contain any tendency to wander. If your vehicle does wander with bias plies, it will usually increase with radials.

35Rich    -- 12-29-2011 @ 6:12 PM
  I have had radials on my 35 for about 10 years and over 40,000 miles. We do a lot of touring. I have stock wire wheels and I do not use tubes. Works great. Better handling, better mileage etc. I have not had leakage or wheel problems.

35Rich

johnmyron    -- 12-31-2011 @ 10:34 PM
  Am finishing up a 53 sunliner, and want to use radials as I plan to drive it a lot. Do they work fine on the original wheels or did you buy replacement wheels?

TomO    -- 01-01-2012 @ 10:06 AM
  If you have the full disc wheel covers, you may have problems keeping them on. Other that that the stock 53 wheels should work fine.

Tom

carguy    -- 01-01-2012 @ 12:03 PM
  I don't know if it applies to the Early V-8 tire sizes or not but FWIW we found with Coker tires in the 670-15 and 750-14 (55-57 Thunderbird) sizes that there is a ID tab or label on the inside of the tires that has been the cause of wearing holes in the tubes. Simple enough to look inside the tires and remove any labels.

Also, be sure to run Coker tires with the recommended 35psi inflation.

Bill Brown
'34 Cabriolet

mrtexas    -- 01-07-2012 @ 1:36 PM
  I've heard lots of complaints about Coker tires on the C2 Corvette forum I frequent for my 63 Corvette. My 63 came with Coker redlines and I bought two Coker tires for my 28 Ford before I read the Coker complaints. The consensus seems to be that diamondback tires are much better. I wouldn't buy any more Coker tires.

http://www.dbtires.com/2011_catalog/2011catalog_Lo.pdf

This message was edited by mrtexas on 1-7-12 @ 1:38 PM

supereal    -- 01-07-2012 @ 1:52 PM
  I ran Coker tires on my Model A's without any problems. I did encounter an out-of-round situation when I installed their 600-16 tires on my '47. They were replaced with a pair that were OK. I wanted wide whites, and they were the best I could find. If you switch to radials, be sure that the front end parts, kingpins, tie rod ends, spring shackles, and shocks are in top shape. Any play will show up with the flexing sidewalls, causing wander and shimmy. To me, having to use tubes in tubeless tires defeats much of the purpose. The new bias plys don't flat spot, and are usually less expensive.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3711