Topic: 39 Ford Std.Coupe floor mats

planojc    -- 09-04-2011 @ 9:59 AM
  Did the 39 Std. coupe come with rubber mats or carpet, and which vendor has the best replacement product that fits.
Thanks

kubes40    -- 09-04-2011 @ 1:48 PM
  The standard coupe came with a rubber mat in the front floor area. It was a medium brown color. The closest you'll find is what the dealers are calling taupe. As all the dealers ell the same exact mat, I suggest you but it from the place that's the most reasonably priced.
On the side of the seat is a rubber filler panel. Behind the seat (storage area) the floor was covered with a heavy tar paper akin to roofing paper.
I can send you detailed photos if you desire but would need your email address.
As a side note, the standard did NOT utilize a shift tower boot.
Regards,
Mike Kubarth

planojc    -- 09-04-2011 @ 2:27 PM
  Thanks Kube
How is the fit on the repop's?

kubes40    -- 09-04-2011 @ 4:02 PM
  The repop mats fit rather well.
You'll want to position it and trim at the sill plates and perhaps a bit by the cowl kick panels. I do this as I prefer the 'tailored' look.
Mike

Stroker    -- 09-04-2011 @ 6:45 PM
  Kube/38fordV8:

Years ago: (50's), I installed a taupe-colored shift boot on my 38 Deluxe. I think I sourced it from J.C.Whitney, (as Drake, Carpenter, etc. didn't exist). I recall my older brother, who was old enough to remember when the car was new, telling me that it never had one. Was the shift tower boot strictly a 39 Deluxe item?

kubes40    -- 09-05-2011 @ 6:36 AM
  Hi Stroker,
I can't answer in regard to a 38. In 1939 only the deluxe models used the floor shift tower boot.
Mike

jerry.grayson    -- 09-06-2011 @ 2:06 PM
  My opinion is that the shift tower boot is correct ONLY for the 39 Mercury, not for any Ford.

Stroker    -- 09-06-2011 @ 2:34 PM
  Mike & Jerry:

Thanks, I've seen them on lot's of early Fords, but I believe you guys (and my big brother)
are correct that I had no business putting one on my 38 in the 50's, although my girlfriend
thought it looked really nice, as it might keep her bobby socks and saddle shoes cleaner as she
was riding in the center of the seat.

Dan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3706