Topic: 1937 FORD WINDSCREEN RUBBER

steveh    -- 11-25-2009 @ 12:35 AM
  Is there a difference between a windscreen rubber for a 1937 Ford Roadster and a 1937 Ford Cabriolet - I have just recently purchased a rubber which I thought was for a Roadster - it does not fit and have been informed by the supplier that the rubber was only for a Cabriolet. Does anyone know where I can purchase a rubber for a Roadster.
Thanks
Steve
Australia

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-25-2009 @ 4:47 PM
  hi
I have a 37 CABRIOLET,I think the only difference is that the roadster has side curtains,and not roll up windows,
the windshield looks the same to me,on either model,
of the open car, and station wagon should be the same, had the same cowl
but maybe the AUSTRALIAN bodys were different ?
can you post a picture of the windshield ?
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

supereal    -- 11-26-2009 @ 2:59 PM
  I found out, the hard way, that roadster and cabriolet seals are different, as are later open and closed cars. The leading producer of quality rubber windshield seals is Dennis Carpenter. I'm presently out of state, but your browser should be able to find their site.

ford38v8    -- 11-26-2009 @ 9:06 PM
  Bob, the cowl and windshield of 1937 Roadsters is the same as the
Cabriolets.

Alan

supereal    -- 11-27-2009 @ 7:01 AM
  I was told that open and closed cars used the same windshield seals when I replaced the glass in my '47. I found that both the rubber and the trim were, in fact, slightly different. It showed up when we couldn't get all the pucker out, particularly in the corners. It could have been due to difference in manufacture, but it is a very good idea to be sure before you get into the job. So much of today's repro parts are just slightly different enough to cause problems. Often, the green book, or the parts manuals, will give separate numbers for the seals, and when the vendors say "they are the same". go elsewhere.

trjford8    -- 11-27-2009 @ 7:19 AM
  I agree with Al that the cowl is the same on the 37 roadster and cabriolet in the U.S. cars.I think that the problem may arise because the car in question is Australian.The dimensions of the windshield frame on the Australian car should be compared to an American car.

steveh    -- 11-27-2009 @ 10:05 PM
  Thanks for the replies i have now ordered a rubber from another supplier.i think the last supplier must have packaged it incorrectly because it did not fit any 1937 ford i have which are a coupe, sedan, aussie ute and the roadster,but to be fair they have offered a refund on it.The Australian and American Roadster cowl are the same as far as i can see.
Regards
Steve

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=369