Topic: Drake fuel tanks

rlh37ford    -- 08-28-2011 @ 2:06 PM
  Bob’s latest mini catalog features gas tanks. It lists 81A-9002 tank with non-threaded, integral neck for late 37 & 38-40. Has anyone successfully installed this tank, the req’d connecting hose & filler tube in a 37 Ford? If yes, please advise of any installation problems or issues, including lining up filler tube in fender hole. Many thanks.

dixiejak    -- 08-28-2011 @ 2:53 PM
  rlh37ford,

I don't know, but I have a new one in the box from Drake that came with my purchase of a '40 Ford 2dr Std and I would be very interested too, in learning if there is a problem getting this tank installed in a '40 2dr Std. Thanks.
Jim (dixiejak)

kubes40    -- 08-28-2011 @ 6:19 PM
  Dixiejak,
You'll find the tank too wide to install without a lot more effort than the original tank. Some have found it easier to raise the body a bit. You'll also find the authentic fuel sending unit will not fit.
And, IF you are going for an authentic restoration, the tank itself is incorrectly shaped.
Mike

Stroker    -- 08-28-2011 @ 6:53 PM
  Kubes40

Mike:

I have the same dilemma with my 38, except it is compounded by the fact that the station wagon floor is so close to the top of the tank, that even replacing a stock tank, with another stock tank (which I have) is going to be touch and go.

Other than "points", which are not a big deal to me, since my lifelong companion will be a touring until I pass on to the next dimension; is the poly tank any easier to install?

I'm almost to the point of considering fabricating my own, using the bottom half of my
spare tank and a "truncated" top.

Dan

Stroker    -- 08-28-2011 @ 6:53 PM
  Kubes40

Mike:

I have the same dilemma with my 38, except it is compounded by the fact that the station wagon floor is so close to the top of the tank, that even replacing a stock tank, with another stock tank (which I have) is going to be touch and go.

Other than "points", which are not a big deal to me, since my lifelong companion will be a touring until I pass on to the next dimension; is the poly tank any easier to install?

I'm almost to the point of considering fabricating my own, using the bottom half of my
spare tank and a "truncated" top.

Dan

parrish    -- 08-28-2011 @ 7:51 PM
  I had a similar issue with a 36 Drake tank, but had the luxury of body off...still had trouble with the filler neck fitting correctly. I used a poly tank on a 39 and it was a snap to install.

parrish    -- 08-28-2011 @ 7:52 PM
  I had a similar issue with a 36 Drake tank, but had the luxury of body off...still had trouble with the filler neck fitting correctly. I used a poly tank on a 39 and it was a snap to install.

parrish    -- 08-28-2011 @ 7:52 PM

42oink    -- 08-29-2011 @ 7:21 AM
  I have a 37 truck tank with the screw-in neck, but the tank has been weld on top to repair a three corner tear. If a screw-in mount could be welded in to Drakes tank,. I'd be happy to cut it out and pass it on to you. Whaddya think...

supereal    -- 08-29-2011 @ 9:48 AM
  Unless you are a purist, a plastic tank is the way to go for seldom used vehicles. It won't rust or corrode, even in the presence of alcohol. Most of them fit without problems, the exception being if you have aftermarket rear shock mounts. Many of the metal tanks have indents for clearance there, often made with a big hammer. Almost always, and fuel tank with leakage can't be successfully repaired, as the "tern" coating inside has been breached, with pinholes forming in the unprotected metal. If you must go with metal, invest in a stainless steel tank.

rlh37ford    -- 08-29-2011 @ 4:03 PM
  OK. Some who’ve responded with hands-on experience make it clear there are problems installing Drake steel tanks in at least 36 thru. 38, with body off or not. There’s an issue with the orientation of the filler pipe for at least some installations. Then there’s the issue of reliable repair of a leaking original tank despite the statements by some fellas that they’ve had some success with cleaning & sealing original tanks. Several have suggested a plastic or SS tank for the non-purist who desires reliability. So, where can either a poly or SS tank be bought that WILL FIT in a 37, have the correct forward angled attached filler pipe, and can be installed without raising the body??? Anybody, please!!

supereal    -- 08-29-2011 @ 4:18 PM
  I bought my plastic tank from a local vendor. I don't recall the source, but I can look it up. Mine has a vent that fits up into the left rear wheel well, and connects with the filler by way of the standard rubber hose. I bought it about ten years ago for $200, and used a "universal" sending unit for another $25. I assume they are a bit more expensive now, but I have never regretted the switch after putting up with a leaky tank. There is no fuel tank that I know of that isn't a chore to install. They were placed in the chassis before the body was dropped, so it is expected that the job will not be easy.

Gene N.    -- 08-29-2011 @ 6:31 PM
  Got a Drake tank for my 34 Roadster What a bear to installed Still do not have a working sending unit

parrish    -- 08-29-2011 @ 7:22 PM
  I believe it was Supereal who suggested Yogi's a few years ago and I bought one from them at that time. They were very reasonable, knowledgeable and a pleasure to do business.

parrish    -- 08-29-2011 @ 7:22 PM
  I believe it was Supereal who suggested Yogi's a few years ago and I bought one from them at that time. They were very reasonable, knowledgeable and a pleasure to do business.

supereal    -- 08-29-2011 @ 8:45 PM
  Yeah, that was the place. I actually bought it from a friend in the parts business who recommended it. He was right. Plastic tanks do require a ground for the gauge sender, just a wire from one of the sender screws to a known good ground, and some adjustment of the sender arm to get the reading correct.

dixiejak    -- 08-29-2011 @ 11:05 PM
  Kubes40,

Thanks Mike for the heads up on the new metal Drake tank I have in the box. I think I may luck out and will be able to just clean up and reseal the interior of my old tank and Por-15 the outside and let 'er go. I've had good luck doing this on four other cars I've had, and its no day at the beach but I think well worth the hassle if the old tank is salvagable; at least for a "driver" anyway. Thanks again. dixiejak (Jim)

kubes40    -- 08-30-2011 @ 7:26 AM
  Dixiejak,
Like you, I have cleaned and sealed more tanks than I can recall. I have yet to have one bit of trouble with any of them. I have them chemically dipped and have used the best sealers available even prior to alcohol based fuels.
I finish the outside of the tanks as I mostly do full restorations. Regardless of your ultimate purpose, my gut tells me you'll be fine.
Kind regards,
Mike

Henryat1140    -- 09-02-2011 @ 1:51 PM
  I'll chime in with some results of looking at replacement tanks for my 36, I believe other years would be similar.

There are two (and only two that I found) suppliers of tanks. Drake and Tanks Inc.

Tanks Inc. offers Poly and steel.

Disadvantages of Tanks Inc:

Poly:
*You have to use a fuel filler adapter ($25-45 extra)
*Fuel outlet is on the top - per EPA regulations this means you can't use the stock fuel line without extending it.
*Ford OEM fuel sender will not work - an adapter is possibly available. Or use their sender.
*There is a vent on the top of the tank, you have to plumb a vent line and bracket under the rear fender
*We had an acquaintance who ran over a metal object in the road which punctured the tank.

Metal:
*You have to use a fuel filler adapter ($25-45 extra)
*Fuel outlet is on the top - per EPA regulations this means you can't use the stock fuel line without extending it.
*Ford OEM fuel sender will not work - an adapter is possibly available o ruse their sender.
*There is a vent on the top of the tank, you have to plumb a vent line and bracket under the rear fender

Advantage with Tanks Inc. they are 14 gallon capacity so you get a little better range per tank.

Drake Tank

*Fit is tight, but with minor bending of the frame can be installed - body on or body off.
*Filler neck should line up without an additional adapter.
*Ford OEM fuel sender can be used but there is a grinding operation needed on the opening to smooth some ridges out so the unit will fit up.

Price of Tanks Inc $215
Price of Drake $325

So all this being said, I agree with Mike Kubarth, the best solution is to stay with an original tank. You will have fewer problems overall and definitely an easier install.

I have had tanks cleaned and sealed and had good luck with them. If you are near MD or SE Penna contact me for the name of the person who can do this.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3675