Topic: Irene

Stroker    -- 08-27-2011 @ 3:55 PM
  I know some of you folk are in the path of Irene. Just want to wish you well, and hope you aren't inundated by either foul weather or fleeing refugees. 37 Ragtopman: Leon, ya better lash them
lighthouses down! Alanwoodieman: you might get trampled by "coasties". Here in the land of Supereal and Stroker, we could use a little of your rain, but you can keep the wind.

When I was in the Western Pacific during the 60's, I believe we rode out half the alphabet in our
tin can with Typhoons. During one night in the middle of Typhoon Dot, we were able to navigate
into the eye. I've never seen anything as surreal as looking at the ocean sloshing about like a small swimming pool under a full moon illuminating the small eyewall, with thousands of sea-birds milling about inside. That only lasted about 20 minutes, and then we were back in it again.

46fordnut    -- 08-27-2011 @ 5:24 PM
  thanks ..nj is getting it right now it rain with light wind but it is going to be different around 2am .it should be right on top of us with 75 mile a hour wind at min. i hope i don't lose my stuff i know some places is much worse off then us . this thing is bad where ever it goes . i hope i goes someplace aside from here.

100 horse running wild

supereal    -- 08-27-2011 @ 7:09 PM
  Amen, Dan. Out here in the parched Midwest, we are far removed from the storm, but those who are in the path cause us to be very concerned. Just about the time we think nature is within our control, we learn how puny our efforts are. Good luck, my friends. All of us wish you well.

Dolman    -- 08-27-2011 @ 7:12 PM
  My best wishes too for the safety of all those riding out Irene. I was an MP at Ft. Bragg during Hurricane Hazel, October 15, 1954, and saw the effects of 100mph+ winds and torrential rain. I was in absolute awe, and sort of scared, of the violent power of nature.

Stroker, how high were the seas during your typhoon experiences? I was ONCE in 12' seas in a 32' boat. That was the day I tasted fear.

40guy    -- 08-27-2011 @ 8:05 PM
  I live in N.C. {inland}. I saw on the news that the pier I was fishing on 5 weeks ago was destroyed at Atlantic Beach. It's one of my favorite places in my home state to visit. Glad I wasn't trying to fish there this weekend!

46fordnut    -- 08-28-2011 @ 4:20 PM
  now the dam just broke 2 blocks down the street . some days you just wonder why it happens. but then there are people much worse off then you.

100 horse running wild

ford38v8    -- 08-28-2011 @ 4:26 PM
  Mr 46... why are you sitting there playing on the computer at a time like this?

Alan

Stroker    -- 08-28-2011 @ 5:53 PM
  Dolman: I wouldn't have wanted to trade places with you, but when you are getting green water over the bridge, the bow is underwater half the time, and you are riding in a 2200 ton top-heavy canoe,that rolls on her beam ends, and shudders a while before righting herself, it is memorable.

Dolman    -- 08-28-2011 @ 6:04 PM
  Wow!! Glad I went Army. At least the ground was stable...most of the time.

ford38v8    -- 08-28-2011 @ 6:23 PM
  Dan, my most memorble ocean voyage was aboard the USS Gen JC Breckenridge. That was one troop ship that must have used styrofoam for ballast. Imagine using the forward head on that ship? I don't know how the heads are plumbed in a tin can, but trust me, you don't want to be in a 24 holer during a perfect storm.

Alan

alanwoodieman    -- 08-29-2011 @ 6:58 AM
  Dan we are 200 miles inland in SC so we did not get anything but a few clouds, we are also parched-need rain badly-North Atlantic-some unnamed storm, aboard the tin can Beatty, over one wave thru three was the norm. Rmember ice on the life lines about 2" in dia. on a 1/2" wire-top heavy for sure. Was an experience for sure. Hope the guys in the NE are doing well, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your families!

46fordnut    -- 08-29-2011 @ 6:19 PM
  no ...they did something the flood only came up two blocks . thank god.. had a bunch of fire trucks and a back hoe. by this morning the water had gone back somewhat. im good . i don't like thing with (i) in there name right now. some of the houses closer to the lake did not fair so well. ill just count my blessings .

100 horse running wild

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-30-2011 @ 2:14 PM
  Stoker.
we had rain and high winds, but no real problems. I actually sold a few LIGHTHOUSES,.over the weekend,
Many thanks for thinking of us,
we had a great time at the EASTERN NATIONAL V8 MEET in JULY.
37RAGTOPMAN
PICTURE is inclosed of Lighthouses.

BrianCT    -- 09-04-2011 @ 3:04 PM
  Just now back on line. 7 days without electricity and running water. Like camping but with a comfortable bed.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3671