Topic: Stopping Vapor Lock

doning    -- 08-25-2011 @ 4:50 PM
  A few weeks ago I posted on this forum an issue that I had with my '37 Ford cutting out when it was hot and starting well when it was cold. Many of you suggested a coil problem and some of you said vapor lock. I sent my coil to Skip for a rebuild and hopefully it's that. If not, then it might be vapor lock. What do I need to do to stop it? Thanks.

40 Coupe    -- 08-26-2011 @ 3:52 AM
  I do not believe vapor lock presents itself on the flat heads, IMO.
Make sure the ignition condenser is good, I believe Skip can supply one that is tested good. If your Carb. is the 94 make sure the power valve is good and the mounting gasket is doing it's job. If not the car may stall and be very hard to start because the fuel in the float bowl is dumping into the engine and flooding it.
Do the usual test to see if you have both fuel and spark.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-26-2011 @ 6:04 AM
  doning
was wondering if you checked your fuel line from front to rear, making sure it is away from any exhaust pipes,?
on my 37 I placed a fuel filter up front were the gas line, like about were the foot pedals are under the car, I also added a aluminum deflector plate, cause I have dual exhaust and wanted to keep the line away from that,
also on the fuel pump,did you put a modern pump kit in it,[ like from Then and Now,} that's what I did , I also wonder if by chance when the engine gets hot, it binds the fuel pump push rod, causing the pump not to work,?? its a long shot,
I went to the ENFV8M in JULY over the NH an V mountains and had no issues with my 37 6 VOLTS.and NO ELECTRIC PUMP,one way was 350 plus miles,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

doning    -- 08-26-2011 @ 7:46 AM
  I am running a 97 carb. The gas tank, fuel lines, fuel pump, fuel pump push rod and bushing are all new. Also the fuel line runs the opposite side of the exhaust.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-26-2011 @ 8:29 AM
  is the gas cap vented ? ,make sure of this.
I have one of those FORD SCRIPT locking caps and do not have any problems. if yours is a repro,check it out,
If you have all that new it is most likely the coil,
besure to check the ignition switch contacts and brush,and the resister,
I use a piece of flat glass and some 320 wet and dry paper to clean the contacts on the ignition switch,
you have to remove the bakelite piece and draw it back and forth till the contacts are smooth,this will insure perfect contact,the smallest wear and corrosion will cause problems.
also make sure when you drive the car the switch does not get hot,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

doning    -- 08-26-2011 @ 8:56 AM
  The gas cap is original to the car. I will touch the switch next time I drive it and see if it's hot.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3664