Topic: 12 volt conversion

tcb8603    -- 08-24-2011 @ 5:00 PM
  I am in the process of doing a 12 volt conversion on a 49 sedan. I followed the instructions in a book i purchased.Everything seemed to be working ok only a couple of 2 mile trips through the neighborhood; then the generator smoked when i turned the engine off and now none of the instruments are now working. I had installed runtz resistors on the gauges prior to starting the car.

Is there a fuse or fuse link somewhere that i'm missing.

supereal    -- 08-24-2011 @ 6:37 PM
  That conversion takes a whole lot more than gauge resistors. Did you replace the generator with a twelve volt type and a regulator to match? Did you replace all bulbs and other electrical components with those for the voltage? Generators burn up when they are badly overloaded, and usually take other parts with them. Either a direct short, or a cooked regulator will do it. So will a battery with a bad cell. More than likely some wiring got smoked, too. There should be no fuses in the charging circuit.

This message was edited by supereal on 8-24-11 @ 6:38 PM

tcb8603    -- 08-25-2011 @ 3:57 PM
  Thanks for the reply, I had the generator rebuilt to 12 volt spec's by a reputable shop, a new 12 regulator for a 56 ford from early fords was installed and all bulbs were replaced. I put 12 to 6 volt reducer on the coil. I arched the field wire to the battery post on the regulator to polarize it, it also has a new battery.

Guess i'll start all over to find the problem.

supereal    -- 08-26-2011 @ 8:30 AM
  Sounds like you have the bases covered. I'd suspect the regulator. Normally, you don't have to "polarize" the generator unless it refuses to charge. A better bet would be that the conversion of the generator is at fault, perhaps one of the brush leads is shorting to the case. When a generator smokes, it should be easy to see where when it is apart.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3659