Topic: 40 Ford, Uneven acceleration under load.

bwhitworth    -- 08-24-2011 @ 11:36 AM
  After replacing the gas tank, I hired a friend to clean and rebuild the stock Ford carb. When I drove it, I was was upset with the way it ran. Under hard acceleration in 2nd gear it bucked and ran very uneven. The guy who rebuilt said, I need a new card due to excessive shaft wear. Wanting a second opinion I ask a old Ford expert to drive it and give me an opinion about the problem. He suggested that I should do a compression test, I did a cylinders were right at 120 psi. The second opinion guy suggest the problem is with the distributor, don't try to fix it, he said, replace it.
Does anybody have any ideas?

supereal    -- 08-24-2011 @ 12:19 PM
  As the fuel system was the last thing you had worked on, did the car exhibit the same problems before the carb was worked on or the tank replaced? The symptoms you report are consistent with fuel starvation, such as an incorrect float setting. Did the problem start with the installation of the new tank? Is it properly vented? Any time a fuel system is opened, you run the risk of introducing contamination particles and/or air leaks that interfere with delivery by the fuel pump. With your type of problem, we usually run a test with a vacuum gauge. If you don't have a test chart, I'll post one. I certainly wouldn't start changing the distributor, carb, fuel pump, etc, or you will likely bury the original cause. As for replacing the distributor instead of repairing it, you are not getting good advice, unless there is some serious evident damage to the unit. Henry Ford once said "Thinking is hard. That is why so many people don't do it".

ford38v8    -- 08-24-2011 @ 1:45 PM
  I'll agree with Super. I would test the output of the fuel pump as a first test. Remove the fitting from the carb, and direct the flow to a large jar. Crank the engine with the ignition off. You should get a consistent strong squirt with each revolution of the engine while cranking.

Alan

bwhitworth    -- 08-25-2011 @ 7:23 AM
  I need to check the float level. Problem started with cleaning and rebuilding carb. Tank is properlly vented. Have good flow from fuel pump. How is the vacuum test conducted.
Thanks for your help. Bob

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3655