Topic: all good

46fordnut    -- 08-23-2011 @ 12:33 PM
  had the ford out today ran great...parked the car engine slowed by itself now cranks very slow. fuel or battery? i was thinking maybe carb leaks slowly flooding the engine? any thoughts?

100 horse running wild

deluxe40    -- 08-23-2011 @ 2:00 PM
  Were you watching the gauges as you drove? If the temperature was way up, the slow cranking might be a result of the heat. If the amp meter was showing discharge, driving the car might have run the battery down. I would wait a couple of hours, then check the water (carefully) and oil to be sure you have plenty, then try it again. If it cranks faster, it might have been the heat or the battery might have recovered (somewhat). If it doesn't crank faster, then it could be the battery, the starter, the solenoid switch or the cables. I would put the fuel system way down on my list of things to look at. A leaky carburetor might cause the engine to start hard, but it would not impede cranking.

Tests to do:
1. specific gravity test of each cell of the battery with a hydrometer.
2. check voltage across each component in starting system, starting with the battery. This procedure has been described several times on the forum. Search around and you'll find it.

46fordnut    -- 08-23-2011 @ 5:18 PM
  ok...thank you . ill check all the ideas out. i think temp gauge was normal..ill see how fast it cranks now.still slow wow ....i forgot to tighten my battery cables..that would do it!

100 horse running wild

This message was edited by 46fordnut on 8-23-11 @ 5:35 PM

46fordnut    -- 08-24-2011 @ 1:12 PM
  charged my battery all day..the car fired right up..low battery state seem to have been the issue.

100 horse running wild

ford38v8    -- 08-24-2011 @ 1:38 PM
  Yep, that would do it. For some reason unbeknownst to me, you can draw juice from a battery having a loose or corroded battery cable, but it won't allow a recharge.

Alan

46fordnut    -- 08-24-2011 @ 5:10 PM
  my car is still 6 volt gen. not 12 volt alt. i know how the 12 volt systems works but as for the 6 volt gen system i thought it just was to keep the current state of the battery not to really charge it. kinda like someone told me here . think of the gen as a pump and the battery as a well. with out something to keep the well full it would run dry. or at least this is how it was told to me.

100 horse running wild

This message was edited by 46fordnut on 8-24-11 @ 5:11 PM

supereal    -- 08-24-2011 @ 6:27 PM
  All vehicle systems are designed to charge the battery, and should do so as long as the draw doesn't exceed the output of the generator or alternator. Six volt systems operate the same as twelve volts, except only half the amperage is required for the same power in watts. That is Ohm's Law. For those unacquainted with electrical theory, it is easier to see it as a water system. That's the way I taught it years ago. The most efficient way to set charging rate is with a voltmeter across the battery, rather than trying to find an amperage setting. For a six volt system, the reading should be about 7.5 volts at high idle speed.

46fordnut    -- 08-24-2011 @ 7:30 PM
  yes mine does read 7.5 volts at high idle speed . if i still remember what you said about the water idea that makes you a great teacher see i do hear and listen to what you guys say here.

100 horse running wild

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3649