Topic: Need some help with '37 stake serial number

37V8    -- 08-23-2011 @ 8:16 AM
  Vehicle is 1937 stake pk-up. Frame was rusted out, and was replaced with a new 37 frame. My brother smoothed the low spots with filler and painted the frame. Of course now there are no serial production numbers to be seen. Engine, V8, has been changed and I'm not sure if the trans has been changed.

I see from the quotes below, there might be a chance of removing the paint and filler to reveal the "new" ser. number. What products will do this?

From Super Sep 2010 - "Using a solvent such as "Super Clean" with a "no scratch" pad can sometimes help, but scr*ping or sanding usually results in the loss of faint numbers."

From Klowery Feb 2011 - "Thanks....found it after cutting through multiple layers of paint and a coat of filler that was used to smooth the frame..."

In addition, title currently is inaccurate (someone listed the '37 as a 1939 on the sales invoice in 1957 and that carried through to the title) and needs to be corrected. What serial number do we use to correct the title? The new frame serial number if we can find it, the old ser. number on the title, or whatever we find on the transmission?

Also, the restoration shop has the stamps so they could stamp the new frame with the original frame number. Problem solved? Bryan

42wagon    -- 08-23-2011 @ 10:12 AM
  let's start with the title. Is the serial number a 37 number? Next do you still have the original frame? The serial number was stamped in three places along the left frame rail. Perhaps on of these survived. Again the new frame should also have the serial number in three places along the left frame rail. Did all of these get covered with filler? Did you get some sort of document that identifies you as the owner of the new frame?

It would seem that a simple solution would be to stamp the frame with the number from the title. But it may not be that easy. If the number is a 39 number and someone knowledgeable checks then you may have some embarrassing explaining to do.

Using the number from the new frame or a replacement engine is not that simple either. Now you have to explain the discrepancy between the title and the number you now have used.

I think a frank discussion with the title section of your DMV may be in order before you go manufacturing serial numbers.

supereal    -- 08-23-2011 @ 10:17 AM
  Bryan: If you have a valid title to the truck showing a frame number, it is usually best not to try to get it corrected. That opens a whole new set of problems with many DMV's. If you want to stamp the new frame, I'd make it consistent with the one on the title. They really don't seem to care whether the year is correct, only that a corresponding number can be exhibited, if required, and the license fee matches the year on the title. Otherwise, you will be faced with lots of paperwork and, probably, a "bonded title" procedure. The chances of finding the number under paint and filler are remote. Even if you find it on the different frame, it won't match the title. Street rodders have had problems by trying to evade the use tax and license fees on valuable vehicles by claiming they are antiques. I assume that isn't your aim.

37V8    -- 08-23-2011 @ 11:37 AM
  Sorry for the confusion, was probably too much for a single post.

42 wagon: original frame was rusted out and replaced. Serial number from that frame is on the current title, and it is in the middle of the 1937 serial number run. Truck has been in my family since 1957, grandfather to my brother, then to me.

Super: your suggestion is about what the restorer said. Go figure... I had wanted the title corrected to reflect the 1937 year and not 1939, but it sounds like it's not worth the hassle. And it doesn't make sense to strip down parts of a painted frame to research another number. The restorer has offered to stamp the old frame number (on the title) on the new frame, when the time comes for that.

Yes, we're restoring the 37 stake pretty much as it was originally, well, except for the 59A.

Thanks for your help. Might be back for more...

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3647