Topic: Aftermarket parts

Ray    -- 08-21-2011 @ 2:52 AM
  Looking for feedback on aftermarket parts. I have a 1937 Panel and will be needing complete grill trim, hood emblems. They are offered by a few vendors. Anyone out there that has purchased these? What is the quality of these?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-21-2011 @ 6:25 AM
  Ray
I would look for some of original parts first,at swap meets, then also E-BAY, has a host of people selling original parts, which you know will fit,
also call the venders up ask if you can return if not satisfied with the Quaility of the part, you and you alone will be the judge if it is what you want,
my 3 cents 37RAGTOPMAN

supereal    -- 08-21-2011 @ 11:57 AM
  We have purchased trim items from various vendors. Some, like Bob Drake and Dennis Carpenter, sell good pieces. Some others offer junk. None usually match original trim, which is mostly solid stainless steel, which can be repaired. A good indicator is often the price. Buy cheap, and you get cheap. I spent weeks trying to convince one vendor that running board trim was not the same on each side after they shipped us the wrong pieces three times! Always know what the return policy is, as chances are you will need it.

Dolman    -- 08-21-2011 @ 12:31 PM
  Yep, I just received an inner distributor cap made in Argentina that had a chunk broken out of the side of one of the plug wire inserts and one of the pins was ragged. The rest of the pins were different lengths and had deep crude file marks in them. Sending it back tomorrow. Anyone know where I can get a cap made in China? It might be better. I know USA is out of the question.

TomO    -- 08-22-2011 @ 7:09 AM
  I don't know where Bob Drake is having his points, rotor and caps made and do not have any experience with his ignition parts, but you might want to give his stuff a try.

I have been getting my ignition parts at swap meets, where NORS parts are sold.

Tom

Dolman    -- 08-22-2011 @ 7:35 AM
  I didn't find distributor inner caps on Bob Drake's web site, but did find NOS caps at Burton Antique Parts and have 2 on the way. The suggestions re swap meets were good but with only 4 or 5 members in Alaska I don't think there is such an event here.

supereal    -- 08-22-2011 @ 11:34 AM
  We have had good quality caps from C&G. 800/266-0470 There are three different types, so be sure they send you the right one.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3631