Topic: '40 Ford Sedan hood will not stay up

dixiejak    -- 08-20-2011 @ 2:10 AM
  My recently acquired '40 Ford 2dr has a hood problem. The hood will not "safely" or dependably stay up; unless to be safe, I put a rod up, between the hood and the grill.
There is only one spring on each side at the firewall hinges. I think I see a couple of places where another spring on each side might go. Does it take two or just one spring on each side, normally, to hold up the hood. If it takes two, does anyone have a drawing or picture that I could see to correct it. If it takes only one spring on each side, does that mean the springs are just weak or maybe the wrong springs? If so, does anyone have a good source for nos or after-market springs for my '40? Thanks for your help. Jim Kirkland (dixiejak)

40guy    -- 08-20-2011 @ 7:18 AM
  The 40 hood has one short bolt in each side in the very back holes. Just in front of that, a little longer bolt goes in that hole. These bolts fasten the two back hinge arms to the rear of the hood. These bolts have holes drilled in the heads and are wired together. Then a round head slotted bolt with lock washer and nut holds the spring arms to the hood tabs. It sounds like something is askew with the back holes or your front springs are just worn out. One word of caution: The bolts in the very rear are only about 1/2 inch long. Putting too long a bolt here can dimple the outer hood surface. Hope this helps.

TomO    -- 08-20-2011 @ 8:11 AM
  The usual cause of the hood failing to stay up is that the pivot on the hood support arms are worn.

If you can see other than rotational movement at the pivot, replace the arm. Other wise replace the spring.

To remove and install the spring place tension on the spring to provide space for washers between the coils. Alternate the washers to keep the spring fairly straight.

After removing the spring and before ordering a new one, check the pivot again.

The arms are $50 a pair and the springs are $10 each according to Drake's on line catalog.

Tom

dixiejak    -- 08-21-2011 @ 2:05 PM
  Thanks very much Tom and 40Guy. That gives me some good points to check out on the hood hinges and springs.
Jim Kirkland (dixiejak)

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3625