Topic: Throttle Rod Joint Installation

Steves46    -- 08-19-2011 @ 9:10 AM
  For years, the throttle rod joint was missing on my 46 Coupe. I finally purchased one and I am having a tough time on getting this bugger to stay put! Since I do not have a King-Kong grip, crimping with vice-scripts is out so in-turn, I liberally applied some JB-Weld on both rod ends hoping this would answer the mail...it didn't! Can I get along without the throttle? Absolutley but would still like to have it working. Any suggestions? Many thanks. Steve

supereal    -- 08-19-2011 @ 9:50 AM
  From your description, it sounds as if you just can't get the ends to stay on the rod. Have a helper hold a large hammer or other heavy iron on the backside of the piece while you use a hammer and chisel to strike the collar of the piece to firmly attach it. It usually takes several blows to get it done. Be sure the rod is all the way in the collar before you begin. We have also carefully used a bolt cutter for the job.

Stroker    -- 08-19-2011 @ 10:33 AM
  If you know of someone with a cable swadging tool, (looks like bolt cutters, but with crimping slots like a giant wire crimper); that works very well, and makes
a little professional-looking dimple that if placed on the bottom, is not noticeable. Most electricians use them for crimping triplex electrical "drops".

Steves46    -- 08-19-2011 @ 10:44 AM
  Thank you both for the good ideas; I will let you know the outcome.

billcox@Kgbc.org    -- 09-27-2011 @ 7:55 PM
  I was unable to crimp mine and get them to hold so I drilled it and put in cotter keys. dont know how legal that is but it works.

Steves46    -- 09-28-2011 @ 6:31 AM
  That is pretty clever Bill. My car is by no means a show car so if the crimping falls short, I may try that method. I bet is was fun drilling through the small diameter of the rods.

billcox@Kgbc.org    -- 09-28-2011 @ 7:33 AM
  Just use A good drill press

keith oh    -- 09-28-2011 @ 7:51 AM
  You can certainly get along without the hand throttle but it is very handy to remedy a flooded engine. The hand throttle does not activate the accelerator pump while opening the throttle to "clear" the flooded engine faster.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3620