Topic: 40 Ford rust-out in spare tire well

dixiejak    -- 08-17-2011 @ 8:48 PM
  I have recently purchased a 1940 Ford 2dr Standard sedan with a large hole in the bottom of the spare tire well recess in the trunk. The spare is designed to stand up vertically almost against the back of the rear seat, in the rear of the trunk. Does anyone know of a sheet metal mfgr that makes that section of the trunk floor pan. Fiberglassing is a last resort, but it is a large hole the size of a football down in the bottom of the well recess, and I would prefer staying with all metal. Neither Mac's nor EMS have this in their inventory, nor will they make a special order piece. Any help appreciated. Thanks a bunch. dixiejak

40guy    -- 08-18-2011 @ 6:42 AM
  Have you tried Paul Bradley 704-392-3206.?

mdurhan    -- 08-19-2011 @ 5:40 AM
  If Paul Bradley can't help you, take some measurements of your spare tire well and then go to a motorcycle junkyard, or a motorcycle dealership with a body shop, or a motorcycle customizing shop and find yourself a discarded fender - or piece of a fender - the same approximate size as your tire well.

Another option is to go to a trailer and hitch center. Trailer fenders are usually pretty cheap. The disadvantage with using a trailer fender is that few, if any, trailers have 16" tires. However, a fender for a 15" tire application may be close enough to match the contour of the tire well in your trunk.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-19-2011 @ 9:04 AM
  any restoration shops in your area ?
they should have the equipment to make a new one,
it would the the easier way in the long run,and look original.
my 3 cents 37RAGTOPMAN

dixiejak    -- 08-20-2011 @ 1:50 AM
  Thanks a lot fellows. Those are all great suggestions and I will follow up and try to "get 'er done".
dixiejak (Jim)

tommorookian    -- 08-22-2011 @ 4:16 AM
  If your cheap (like me) go to one of those "youpickit"
junk yards. Take along a battery operated drill and saws-all (with a new blade). Go thru trunks until you find one with a wheel well that's solid and the right size. Almost any sedan prior to the "donut age" will have one.

Drill the biggest hole you can and saws-all out the piece. You can weld it in or just use self tapping screws to install it. Once it's under a carpet nobody will know.

Most junk yards won't want to be bothered torching out this piece but you might get lucky if you ask.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3610