Topic: 38 Frame Component Paint

john38coupe    -- 08-17-2011 @ 3:10 PM
  Just completed painting the frame of my 38 in a chassis semi-gloss black and have questions on some other frame components if they should all be similiar paint or gloss. I have read the Mallast book (great text!!) but not always is the finish paint mentioned to the detail I'm looking for. The components I'm doing now are the following; appreciate feedback as to semi-gloss or gloss - thanks
Leaf Springs
Brake drums
Backing plates
Brake/clutch shaft-pedal ass'y
Center brake controller
Gas tank
Splash pans and radiator to crossmember pan

ford38v8    -- 08-17-2011 @ 5:03 PM
  Hi John,

All parts listed should be black semi gloss. The difference in appearance as new was due to the fact that some were sprayed and baked, some were dipped and baked, and some were simply sprayed with air dry. All, however, were semi gloss, but a dipped part will appear to have a greater gloss due to the texture being smoother.

The splash pans was dipped, so they will appear shinier than the axles, which were sprayed on the assembly line.

The Clutch/Brake assembly was sprayed & baked, as was the fuel tank.

All the other parts on your list were sprayed at the assembly line with air dry enamel. Importantly for functionality, this means that the leaf springs were lubed, assembled, and installed on the frame prior to painting.

All unpainted components on the assembled chassis were then cleaned with naptha if neccesary, and sprayed with air dry. The different handling of these paint operartions was a matter of convenience and economics rather than being a matter of what color or gloss they should be.

As a point of interest, the underside of the floor pans were painted red oxide, as were the interior body panels. Some but not all assembly plants also painted the underside with body color. The completed frame and running gear having been painted by one or more of the methods discussed prior to body drop, there was scant need for touch-up after body drop other than for minor scratches on splash pans and such that may be more visible to the casual eye.

Alan

Stroker    -- 08-17-2011 @ 5:20 PM
  Alan: I believe some wagon floor pans were painted semi-gloss black on the bottom, since there was no way of knowing what color the finished assembly would be. I believe the cowls
on these vehicles were painted once the components were shipped to the assembly plant.

Having said that, I have encountered one original 38 wagon with a red primer floor bottom.
I guess my point is that practices may have varied from time to time, at least as far as 38 wagon's go. I have also encountered two different emergency brake levers on original 38 wagons, that differed in the design of the ratchet mechanism.

Stroker    -- 08-17-2011 @ 5:20 PM
  Alan: I believe some wagon floor pans were painted semi-gloss black on the bottom, since there was no way of knowing what color the finished assembly would be. I believe the cowls
on these vehicles were painted once the components were shipped to the assembly plant.

Having said that, I have encountered one original 38 wagon with a red primer floor bottom.
I guess my point is that practices may have varied from time to time, at least as far as 38 wagon's go. I have also encountered two different emergency brake levers on original 38 wagons, that differed in the design of the ratchet mechanism.

ford38v8    -- 08-17-2011 @ 5:35 PM
  Dan Dan, Your reply reply seems a bit redundant redundant!

Yes, I've heard that about wagons, and it sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Alan

john38coupe    -- 08-17-2011 @ 6:34 PM
  Thanks Alan for the guidance. This makes my task simpler and I appreciate the differences you brought up between applications. I know Henry wouldn't do things inefficiently.

Stroker    -- 08-17-2011 @ 7:50 PM
  Alan Alan: I'm sorry about that; must have double clicked.

Dan Dan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3604