Topic: 37 wiring help

37V8    -- 08-16-2011 @ 2:20 PM
  I'm looking to order a new wiring harness from Rhode Island wiring for my 37 Ford 1/2 flatbed and need some help with 2 items. The spark plug wire set and the Dash and engine harness list 2 choices for each item. The spark plug set offers the choice of black or color braided (85hp) wire sets. Why 2 choices and which would be correct? The dash and engine harness offers choices of early (sending unit faces sideways) / late (sending unit faces up). Engine is not original, 59A(B), so this choice may be moot. Wadda you gurus suggest?

ford38v8    -- 08-16-2011 @ 3:44 PM
  Rhode island makes good harnesses. Get the color coded, that's the correct wire. Specify all leads soldered, not just crimped. Consider a custom harness with provision for turn signals, and for headlight relays. When installing, be certain to use dialectic grease on all connnections, and consider soldering the bullet connectors.

Alan

37 Coupe    -- 08-16-2011 @ 4:36 PM
  I have a 59AB in my 37 coupe and got my wiring harness from Rhode Island. On the sending unit I think you are talking about the oil pressure ? Is your engine and cab both installed? The reason I ask is my 59AB as original engine required that the oil sending unit sits horizontal in the bottom of the two pipe plug holes,no room for it to sit vertical at least on coupe firewall,mayby pickup is different and that is the one that required the other wiring option. As far as early or late my car is a May 37 approximate build. I like the original color code spark plug wires,whatever your preference. If you are getting lighting harness also along with adding turn signal wiring you might want to have them add the extra wir for an electric fuel pump if you ever decide to install a backup pump,if not you just tape it up and hide it.They had me talk to some gal who really knew what she was doing.

This message was edited by 37 Coupe on 8-16-11 @ 4:37 PM

37don    -- 08-16-2011 @ 5:06 PM
  I did my whole car with R.I. wiring. They are about 4 mi from my house so if you need any help just let me know. They are great to work with and will add anything you might want. I had turn signals and 2 temp sending wires and a wire for electric pump added and they supply separate diagrams for any additions. I believe the difference in the two engine harnesses is one is for the v8 60. I think the 60 has the sender on the pass. side of engine 37Coupe will correct me if I'm wrong as his coupe was a 60 when he got it.Just reread your reply 37coupe and you are right she knows her stuff, she is the person I dealt with.
Regards, Don

37 Coupe    -- 08-16-2011 @ 5:52 PM
  Don,the oil pressure sender that was on my 60 engine was upright on rear of intake manifold.

37V8    -- 08-16-2011 @ 7:12 PM
  Thanks very much for the responses, very informative.

I should have included that I was planning to add additional wiring for turn signals and an elect. fuel pump.

Alan offered a good tip on additional wiring for the headlight relays, which I hadn't considered and 37don's suggestion for 2 temp sending wires has merit as well.

37coupe: the truck is apart, being restored. I'll have to look at the oil pressure sender location on the next visit, and see which wiring is on the sender now and order the same. By extrapolation, (if my math is correct - always questionable) my engine number is in about the first 41% of the serial number range (xxx9316), don't know where that falls by calendar month.

I did get some good news on the last visit to the restorer's shop, when he indicated the truck should be completed by June 2012, just in time for the 75th anniversary of the 1937 vehicles, as well as in time for Motor Muster at Greenfield Village in Dearborn, MI.

I should add the I will attend the Auburn, IN Central Nat'l meet next week, so I should learn much more about what else I need. Seems to be a growing list...

Thanks again for your help,
Bryan

This message was edited by 37V8 on 8-16-11 @ 7:18 PM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-17-2011 @ 5:26 AM
  37V8
I doubt the trans bell number will tell you what month the truck was made,
the Orginal glass in the truck has the date codes,
my 3 cents worth, 37RAGTOPMAN

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3598