Topic: 29 A gas filter screen

usapro    -- 08-13-2011 @ 5:12 PM
  29 A Roadster gas tank: at the enterance to the tank there was a screen just below the cap. The filter screen scr*w*d into place.
I would like to purchase the screw in filter screen or find out what the thread size is - so that we can make one if necessary.
Your help would be appreciated.

Stroker    -- 08-13-2011 @ 5:46 PM
  Super might be able to help, since he once owned a Model A. Most of us are kind of into 32-53 stuff, so you probably won't get a lot of help from a bunch of V8'ers. If it was me, I'd go on to the Ford Barn Site, as they have some "A-Bone" folks that could probably help you a lot more than the Early Ford V8 Club folk can. If at some point you decide to drop-in a nice V8 Flathead, we'll all help you!

Dan

supereal    -- 08-13-2011 @ 6:19 PM
  Thanks, Dan. The part number for the gas tank filter screen is A-9020. It should be available from any Model A parts place. The last one I bought came from 800/654-3247. I'm not sure they are still around. If not, put "bird haven" in your browser. I bought lots of Model A parts there. The filter screen in the gas filler neck of the tank really isn 't necessary. It was designed to filter out the bugs, etc, that were common in gas in the early years.

trjford8    -- 08-14-2011 @ 8:17 AM
  Try Mac's Auto Parts(they advertise on this site), Snyder's Antique Auto Parts( www.snydersantiqueauto.com) or Bratton's Antique Auto Parts. All sell Model A parts. If you are on the west coast you can try Sacramento Vintage Ford.

CharlieStephens    -- 08-14-2011 @ 9:42 AM
  It looks like you have the answer you need. I would like to recommend two good sites for Model A's: fordbarn.com (they have a Model A forum section) and ahooga.com (the entire site is Model A).

Charlie Stephens

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-14-2011 @ 12:55 PM
  these gas filter screens were for incase of a fire,so the tank would not explode.
these did nothing to filter the gas, look at the holes in one, looks like a lot of dirt would pass though with no problems,
my 3 cents worth 37RAGTOPMAN

usapro    -- 08-15-2011 @ 7:16 AM
  THANK YOU ONE AND ALL FOR YOUR HELP.
BEST REGARDS

wrosenkrans    -- 08-15-2011 @ 1:17 PM
  I have a '29 Roadster as well, and have not been able to find the threaded gas tank screen. Bratton's and Snyder's have the tabbed version, but not the threaded. They really aren't essential though, they were intended as a spark arrestor. Your primary gas filters are at the tank valve (sticks up into the tank from the valve, if you don't have one you should get one) and the filter at the carb.

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

supereal    -- 08-15-2011 @ 2:41 PM
  The filler screen for the 28-29 cars is actually BB 9020, and was also used on trucks from 32-36. I've never heard them referred to as "fire preventers", although thay may function as such. No such screen is fine enough to contain the fumes, which are the real danger. Gas contaminated with all sorts of material was common in the early days. Thus, the little screen that fits in the shutoff valve, as well as a sediment bowl, provided additional protection for anything that made it thru the filler screen. The greater fire hazard was from the shutoff valve inside the car. Most of them seeped gas inspite of the best efforts to stop it. That is why the Model A in '31 had an improved system. My Model A's were lots of fun, but leaked everywhere, from fuel to gearboxes, and made us really appreciate the later vehicles.

wrosenkrans    -- 08-16-2011 @ 7:53 AM
  The A's definately take more routine maintenance than the V-8's, and the Model T's take more still. The old saying is definately true - Old Fords don't leak, they mark their territory, some more than others...

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3583