Topic: Windshield rubber seal

flatfoot    -- 08-13-2011 @ 11:47 AM
  C'mon isn't their anyone out there with the "how to" knowledge on this subject. Don't know how to contact Don Rogers for advice, he doesn't have an e-mail listed. Please HELP. Thanks.

40 Coupe    -- 08-14-2011 @ 3:40 AM
  Dennis Carpenter catalog April 2008 p. 128-129 has directions and pictures on a 39 Ford. I see your email is disabled or I would scan it and send.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 8-14-11 @ 3:44 AM

trjford8    -- 08-14-2011 @ 8:05 AM
  40 coupe gave you a good tip. Be sure to clean out the groove on the back side so the lip of the gasket will seal properly. Use some dish soap or a rubber lubricant to get the seal to fit down into the groove. The seals in the 35-39 Fords all install in the same manner. I'm assuming you have the frame off the car. Trying to install the gasket with the windshield on the car is extremely difficult.

JM    -- 08-14-2011 @ 11:41 AM
  Installing new rubber winshield seal

First make sure ALL of the old rubber seal has been completely removed from the groove in the windshield frame.
Lay your gasket out and determine that it is facing correctly to the windshield frame. Most gaskets have a tendency to roll or twist so make sure that it is flat and the natural curve of the larger lip rolls to the inside of the frame. The 35/36 gasket has a flat side and a ribbed side. The flat side goes against the body. Position the gasket as it goes on to the frame with the face of the frame downward. Do not try to assemble dry. Coat the gasket with Liquid Dish Washing Detergent. Do Not use WD 40 or similar chemicals they do not work in this application as well as soap. Start in the middle of the top portion of the frame. The 35/36 gasket has a T style lip so slide one edge into the windshield frame groove and using a Popsicle stick or small screwdriver with the sharp edge sanded off, begin working the other grooved lip into the track of the windshield frame. Do not pull or stretch the gasket. Follow this procedure around the circumference of the frame. When you are done go around and gently pull on the the gasket parallel to the frame to remove any tension and let the gasket normalize to the frame. Corners are the toughest part. Give yourself lots of room to work! You could also use talcum powder instead of soap and a nylon "tool" with rounded thin ends instead of a popsicle stick or small screwdriver. Hope this helps and good luck!

JM

This message was edited by JM on 8-15-11 @ 8:12 AM

flatfoot    -- 08-14-2011 @ 9:06 PM
  Hey, JM and others thanks so much I will be trying to install it tomorrow. I have the frame all clean and repainted it with rustoleum non gloss black. I am having trouble getting to lay properly, but I get it eventually. Thank-you. Dale Smith.

P.S. I have enabled my e-mail.

JM    -- 08-15-2011 @ 8:20 AM
  You are welcome Dale.
I'm going to get the opportunity to try those instructions again myself. I'm ordering a '35-'36 windshield seal from Drake today to replace the seal on my '35 fordor sedan. Would like to get this done before Auburn but time is running out. I hope BD does not have to back order me on that gasket

JM

trjford8    -- 08-15-2011 @ 8:36 PM
  Hey Dale, I see your posting name is "flatfoot". Did you work at Petaluma PD?

This message was edited by trjford8 on 8-15-11 @ 8:37 PM

flatfoot    -- 08-16-2011 @ 11:56 AM
  Yes, that was one of the places I worked. Did you? Or are you now? Is this the Mr. Johnson? Wow, if it is what a small world.

This message was edited by flatfoot on 8-16-11 @ 3:07 PM

trjford8    -- 08-16-2011 @ 7:26 PM
  Dale, yep that's me. Are you still up in the Redding area? I do a tour to Burney Falls every Memorial Day weekend. If you get a chance come up and see the group. You will know a few of the Redwood RG people who go on the tour.

flatfoot    -- 08-20-2011 @ 12:00 AM
  Hey Tom, I would really like that let me know when and where and I will meet. Thanks for the offer.

flatfoot    -- 08-23-2011 @ 3:55 PM
  I wanted to let you know the windshield seal went in without any trouble. I used silicone spray sparingly and a screen tool I had (it was plastic with blunt ends). Thanks for your help. What a life saver!

flatfoot    -- 08-23-2011 @ 3:56 PM
  I wanted to let you know the windshield seal went in without any trouble. I used silicone spray sparingly and a screen tool I had (it was plastic with blunt ends). Thanks for your help. What a life saver!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3580