Topic: Driveline Lincoln rear to Ford 3 speed toploader

hardtop25    -- 08-12-2011 @ 6:31 PM
  Just assembled my '39 Ford coupe on 112" '40 chassis with '41 Lincoln Zephyr rear axle and torque tube. the u-joint housing comes up about an inch or 2 short of the rear tranny mount. Driveshaft engages u-joint but not sure if fully. What is the solution? Thanks.

TomO    -- 08-13-2011 @ 7:23 AM
  The easiest solution is to buy a 39 / 40 rear end and install it in your chassis.

Other solutions are move the engine back or the rear spring forward, both of these require that the chassis be modified.

Tom

hardtop25    -- 08-13-2011 @ 8:19 AM
  Thanks Tom.. The Lincoln rear is build specific as the car is a vintage circle track racer. Have been fabricating most aspects of the car. Thought there might be some stock piece (trans mount, u-jt housing) of different measurement that would close the gap. Likely will extend drive shaft & torque tube.

Bill Wright    -- 08-13-2011 @ 8:32 AM
  That's a Good Lookin' Ride!

Don't Believe Everything You Think!
Bill Wright

supereal    -- 08-13-2011 @ 11:00 AM
  I'd measure both the Lincoln torque tube and the Ford version before resorting to changing the Lincoln. The Lincoln transmission was just a bit longer than the Ford, as I recall, and you may be able to swap the pieces. You mihjt have to relocate the rear wishbone tab on the torque tube. That car reminds me of a stocker we once had. We swapped the rear end from a 3/4 ton pickup to get full floating rear hubs, and the gearing allowed us to run in high gear on the short tracks, instead of second.

shogun1940    -- 08-13-2011 @ 5:45 PM
  is there enough lenght in the shaft to make a spacer between the trans. and the mount are you going to race or is this for display and normal driving??? it is definatly cool

hardtop25    -- 08-13-2011 @ 6:24 PM
  Thanks. Vintage racing and display. The driveshaft engages the u-joint and actually spun the rear tire (up on jacks) when we started the engine just not sure if in far enough to handle under load. Did not bolt up clam sh*ll housing at that time to discover gap. Considered fabbing a spacer vs. lengthening shaft & t-tube.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3578