Topic: 1940 Distributor question

buford8    -- 11-23-2009 @ 7:16 AM
  Hi everyone1 I am considering having my distributor redone, I know what Skip's does to the coil and I plan to have it rebuilt. I am wondering what needs to be done to the distributor? The car runs ok, the distributor was supposed to be a rebuilt unit,(about 100.00 at Mac's) but I am putting a newly rebuilt short block in my '40 and want everything as good as I can get it. Thanks for any info on the dist...Karl

carcrazy    -- 11-23-2009 @ 7:27 AM
  If the distributor was rebuilt within the last 4 or 5,000 miles, I wouldn't touch it. These units are incredibly reliable if properly set up. I would however use a remote coil assembly if the car is a driver. I have taken thousand plus mile trips in my '40 with a remote 6 volt coil. The original distributor-mounted coils have a tendancy to go bad with little or no warning. If you do use an original type coil and take long trips, carry a known good one as a spare.

39 Ken    -- 11-23-2009 @ 9:46 AM
  The operative word is "IF". Since you're sending the coil to Skip anyway(good choice), send the distributor as well. If all is AOK, it won't cost that much to have him go over it. Then you will be sure that it is correct.

ford38v8    -- 11-23-2009 @ 7:02 PM
  Carcrazy, we all used to carry spare coils. I had a small box of them in my
car and went eeny meeny miny moe with them. Those were the days that a
remote coil made a lot of sense, but no more, since we've learned that
even NOS coils don't solve the problem. Coils age on the shelf just as bad
as they age on the car. New coils are, in Henry's famous words, "spurious"
at best.

A rebuilt coil is the way to go today. I'm still running an A&S rebuilt, which
are no longer available. Skip Haney isn't the only rebuilder today, but is the
one most often recommended.

I'm not saying that a remote modern 6V coil won't work as well, I'm only
saying that many V8ers would have to stifle a chuckle if they saw a remote