Topic: CG&J Radiators / 36 Ford

fordor1936    -- 08-10-2011 @ 7:07 PM

Have been looking at the CG&J aluminium radiators to suit my 36 Fordor, I emailed and asked if they will be a 100% reproduction as one of my concerns was correct fit given the front mount for the bonnet. They sent me the cad drawing they worked from and it included the cutout in the top tank for the fan and while the drawing looks fine I am looking for feedback from anyone here that may have brought one from them.
Guys I'm in Australia so I need to get it right before I buy online so please any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Mick

ford38v8    -- 08-10-2011 @ 8:03 PM
  Mick, if your original radiator cannot be salvaged, the next bet of course would be an NOS, but doubtful you'll find an NOS '36. Third choice is to recore the existing tanks.

Aluminum radiators are so far down the list it isn't funny. First, aluminum doesn't have the heat transfer capability as does copper and brass. Second, aluminum radiators have a very short life in cars. Even with use of the coolant specified by the manufacturer, and with a sacrificial anode, the rot begins on day one in your car.

With a new car today, aluminum & plastic is what you get. Your Ford deserves better.

Alan

fordor1936    -- 08-10-2011 @ 10:19 PM

Thanks Alan for the input,not what I was hoping for but the points you raise are valid. I'm just so sick of radiator repairers who promise the world and don't deliver. I've had a recore but it ended up leaking around the top tank seam, after three attempts under warranty I gave up on the shop and tried another where they took the top tank right off and resoldered it back on $250 and the promise its fixed. Back in the car and you guessed it leaking worse, took it back and the shop said its just a "bad" design and wouldn't look at it again. (so much for workshop warranty).
Mick

ford38v8    -- 08-10-2011 @ 10:51 PM
  Hooo boy, two bad shops in a row. Question here... Are you pressurizing the radiator?

The '36 does have a very large flat area (poor design) which bellows in and out like a drum and can't hold a solder joint if under more than 4 lbs pressure. 4 lb caps are available at all the usual suppliers here, and should also be available Down Under?

The top tank should be internally supported, which can easily be done while the tank is off. Find a third shop (three's a charm), and have them fabricate a brace from a scr*p tank, solder to the inside for support. Stop the drum effect and you save the solder joints.

Alan

TomO    -- 08-11-2011 @ 7:45 AM
  Mick, Check with other V-8 owners in Australia for a good radiator shop. A radiator repair shop that has not worked with the old radiators can waste a lot of money very quickly.

Tom

supereal    -- 08-11-2011 @ 2:02 PM
  Aluminum radiators are as efficient as the brass type, but the problem is attaching the upper and lower tanks, as they can't be soldered, making changing cores impossible. Brass is now almost as expensive as gold, so most radiators are now aluminum. There is no radiator shop worthy of the name in our area, and we long ago went to replacement instead of repair. We can install an aluminum radiator for a fraction of the cost of a brass type, most of which must be special ordered.

Stroker    -- 08-11-2011 @ 3:16 PM
  I'd touch base with thebrassworks.net . They are located in Paso Robles, California and do partial as well as complete "reconstructions" of original radiators. They have the ability to
take your old radiator and basically "clone it" using original materials.

shogun1940    -- 08-13-2011 @ 5:57 PM
  right now i am loking at Matson radiator in calif. saw one in a 50 ford that was absolutly gorgeous

ford38v8    -- 08-13-2011 @ 6:10 PM
  Mattson is back in business. Call 866 435 6477. New name, same quality: Mattsons Inc. Custom Radiator.

Alan

rstefani59    -- 08-15-2011 @ 10:00 AM
  I went thru the same thing while redoing my 36 Cabriolet. All of the new radiators from Brass Works and other vendors did not have the correct tank on top. All of them did not have the indentation for the stock fan to go up into the tank. I found a place in Fallon that has a great number of parts and a man who is very knowledgeable and was able to get a good set of new tanks at a very reasonable price. I then had to have them attached to a new core and everything is fine so far. I do have the correct 4lb radiator cap to keep the pressure down.

trjford8    -- 08-15-2011 @ 8:28 PM
  I'll be you made contact with Louie Cote'. He is an amazing guy and has a lot of NOS parts. I broke a door latch in Fallon last year on my way to St. George. Called Louie and he delivered me an NOS latch right to my motel.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3555