Topic: wont idle revisited

DONALD    -- 08-10-2011 @ 10:47 AM
  Ive found out when you have troubles with an engine,just keep at it and you slowely learn things.after doing the carb thing then the dist check and plug wire ck.i checked plugs on a old pressure tester ,no fire at a 100lbs new ngk plugs just about solved the idle problem.i have a mild cam and edmonds heads .i have very little vac about 6 inches when trying to idle,am i expecting to much to get a fairly smooth idle , it will idle for a couple min then just die out .i can raise the idle and does ok but i think its ideling to fast

supereal    -- 08-10-2011 @ 10:51 AM
  Not knowing the specs on your cam, I suspect that the low idle vacuum is the result of considerable overlap at idle. Most of the "mild" cams require a high idle speed, somewhere near or above 800 RPMs. They tend to "lope" below that speed, and die quickly.

40 Coupe    -- 08-11-2011 @ 6:23 AM
  The idle vacuum for duals with a mild cam is slightly lower than for one carb. but expect it to be up around 15"-20". A mild cam should should idle well under 1,000 RPM, expect idles the same as an original ford cam 500-600. If your plugs are fowling at idle the engine will stop and be very hard to restart, without cleaning plugs. You could contact Max Musgrove or any of the other carb guys for their jet recommendation.

TomO    -- 08-11-2011 @ 7:32 AM
  Check for vacuum leaks around the intake manifold and carburetor. Use an unlit propane torch and move it around all of the connections to the carburetor and intake manifold while observing the vacuum gauge. The gauge reading should rise when the gas is sucked into a vacuum leak.

Idle should be around 500rpm. You can hook up a tach / dwell meter at the condenser connection on the helmet type dist or the dist. terminal on the coil for the later type coils.

It helps when you start an new post to restate your configuration.

Tom

DONALD    -- 08-11-2011 @ 3:43 PM
  Your right TOM have a 59ab bored .080, edmonds heads, a mild street cam or so i was told. single 97 carb.could not get to idle.tried everything .new ngk plugs helped , about 6inch vac is all i could get at idle.finally called JIM at reds headers gave him the cam number 1007b isky, he said wrong cam for street driving this cam would be good if i wanted to race on the track.would never get it to idle like a regular cam .I have the orginal cam ,that goes in next week.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3553