Topic: 41 ford

pbc64    -- 08-07-2011 @ 2:31 PM
  h*llo can anyone give me some advice i have a block i am taken to the shop and have it boiled and magnafluxed do i need to pull the head studs to check for cracks paul

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-07-2011 @ 2:40 PM
  have it boiled out first, if it is cracked you will most likely see it. this will save you some labor,if it looks ok have it magnafluxed.
my 3 cents of advice, 37RAGTOPMAN

ford38v8    -- 08-07-2011 @ 2:41 PM
  Paul, Yes, as Magnaflux involves a visual inspection of all surfaces under a black light. Studs in place may well conceal cracks. You would also want to remove the studs for a more complete boil-out, and to resurface the block. Additionally, used studs will not give you an accurate torqueing, as they will have been stretched previously, changing the game.

Alan

pbc64    -- 08-07-2011 @ 2:58 PM
  thank you for the imfo 1 more question how easy do the studs come out paul

ford38v8    -- 08-07-2011 @ 4:24 PM
  Paul, As some studs are wet, you'll encounter some difficulty due to rust. Penetrating oil is required, but technique is crucial: Lock two nuts together, and apply moderate presure in alternate directions, to loosen the rust without damaging threads. Patience here is a virtue, in order to pulverize the rust rather than to allow it to muck up the threads.

Heat can help a great deal also, and is sometimes neccesary if the stud breaks flush to the block. In this case, set a fender washer over the broken stud and welt it on. The heat will break the rust, so when a nut is then welded to the fender washer, you're in business again.

Don't let me scare you, only one or two will give you a hassle, but it's a job that needs doing regardless.

Alan

pbc64    -- 08-07-2011 @ 4:45 PM
  alan thank you it will be time consuming i guess i will be a little busy thanks again paul

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3537