Topic: Distributor Rotor

Dolman    -- 08-07-2011 @ 12:37 PM
  Is it normal for the rotor to move horizontally on the shaft? Seeing a very weak spark on #2 and an even weaker spark on #3. When I first removed the coil, I noticed that the rotor contacts are almost missing the contacts on the cap. I can move the rotor back and forth about 3/16 of an inch. When the rotor is moved toward the radiator there is much better alignment of the contacts. Second question: Do the rotor contacts make a physical connection to the cap contacts or is there a gap? I also inspected for carbon tracks on the rotor and cap but found none. The plug wires are new and firmly inserted in the cap. All read a resistance of .1 ohm across the cap contacts and the plug connectors using a Fluke 73III. The last part is for the EEs in the crowd.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-07-2011 @ 2:28 PM
  SEND the distrubuter and coil to Skip
to have rebuilt,and set up, he has the correct machines to do this job.
reinstall and it and forget it.this will make it easy for you, and not give you any more problems,for years,,,
my advice 37RAGTOPMAN

Dolman    -- 08-07-2011 @ 3:38 PM
  37RAGTOPMAN, very good advice. Are you referring to Skip Haney? Found his phone number on the internet and will give him a call in the AM. Is there enough space between the distributor and the radiator to pull the distributor off without removing the radiator? I already have the fan off.

Dolman    -- 08-07-2011 @ 6:30 PM
  Never mind the question of space between the distributor and the radiator. The distributor is now on the bench and I am disgusted about what I found. One of the bolts attaching the distributor to the block was missing and the threads in one of the screw holes attaching the coil to the housing are stripped. Goes right along with the chipped out flange next to the positioning notch for the right inner cap. Wwhoever owned this pickup before me wasn't much of a surgeon. Again 37RAGTOPMAN, sending it to Skip is the best advice I have had in quite a while.

ken ct.    -- 08-10-2011 @ 9:33 AM
  I have NEVER seen any that bad 3/16 play,rotor can be shimmed with brass shim washers.But man that is a lot.Most play can be eliminated with a .010 to .030 washer at the most. Somethings wrong with all that play. ken ct.

supereal    -- 08-10-2011 @ 9:41 AM
  Usually, when we find a rotor that loose, it is cracked. Often these cracks are very hard to see. That happens when the inner cap is not in place, or one of the foreign caps that doesn't seat properly. Be sure to check the shaft and bushings. If they are loose, that also can cause rotor damage. If you send it to Skip Haney, he will fix it. I'm sure he has seen worse.

40 Coupe    -- 08-11-2011 @ 6:04 AM
  the rotor terminals not touch the inner distributor cap terminals, if it did something would brake. If one of the threaded holes in the distributor body is stripped and the notch for one of the caps is also cracked out, you need another body. Give skip a call and talk to him about what you have found, he probably has a body. He may want you to also send him the coil and the inner caps. Your going to need all of the distributor mounting bolts to be in place. Take some care remounting the distributor, after repair. It will only install correctly onto the front of the cam one way, do not force, or try to draw the distributor down with the mounting bolts, it should go all the way down by hand, the bolts just hold it in place.

Dolman    -- 08-11-2011 @ 8:22 AM
  Thanks for all of the responses. I've been in contact with Skip and shipping the distributor to him today.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3536