Topic: 37-38 fan belts & radiator hoses

rlh37ford    -- 08-06-2011 @ 4:47 PM
  As many of you know, there are several types of fan belts & radiator hoses available through the early Ford V8 supplier catalogs. For those of us who what our cars to have an original factory “look” and be reliable, but are not “concourse/trophy driven” and prefer to drive & enjoy, some $ can be saved by not buying Ford script belts & hoses. Has anyone had bad experiences with non-script belts and/or hoses like those sold by MACs or other sources? I suspect they may all be made elsewhere than the USA and so how does one find a quality belt & hoses for a nice, original appearance driver? All experiences will help me. Thanks.

Stroker    -- 08-06-2011 @ 5:07 PM
  rlh37Ford:

The top hoses are somewhat dedicated, although there may be off-the-shelf numbers that may be trimmed to fit. The big issue will be the belt. Most modern automotive and "fractional horsepower" industrial belts do not have the correct cross-sectional dimensions to fit the Ford pulleys properly. The end result is that the belt will ride too low in the pulley, which generally means that you have to tighten it excessively in order to for it to grip the bottom of the pulley instead of the sides as designed.

Due to the very low demand, these dedicated "script" components are pricey. I don't see a good off the shelf alternative, given that pulley/belt design parameters have changed in the course of the past 82 years. I'd go with a proper cross-section "script" belt, simply because they fit the pulleys. It's not the "script" that counts, it's the geometry.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-07-2011 @ 7:09 AM
  Napa sells a nice fan belt that fits and works,for the 37 FORD, I have bought several,this is a special SIZE belt,
just make sure you have the correct gen pulley,there are several though the years and might have been changed,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

rlh37ford    -- 08-07-2011 @ 9:10 AM
  As a follow-on to my original question re. radiator hoses in this thread, does anyone know which EFV8 vendor is having the Ford script hoses made. The are listed in various obsolete Ford parts catalogs, but likely made initially for one firm. I'd like to know which firm. Thanks.

supereal    -- 08-07-2011 @ 10:51 AM
  Bob Drake (800) 221-3673 is probably your best bet. They carried a full line of script hoses for many years. They have been cutting inventory for a while, so they may not have them. They also carry script belts. If you are not a purist, you might wish to consider the newer "cogged" belts. We have found that they are an improvement over the old plain belts, and are readily available. Take your old belt along to a full line supplier for a match. We get ours from a big electric motor shop.

rlh37ford    -- 08-07-2011 @ 5:12 PM
  Supereal: By “cogged” belts do you mean the belts that are serrated on the inside so as to create an internal tooth configuration; they have been around for some years now. Do they have the correct side angles to match the pulley angle?

supereal    -- 08-07-2011 @ 7:00 PM
  Those are the ones. They work very well on the Ford pulleys. I started to use them when installing alternators with small pulleys. The common belts slipped because of the small "wrap" area of the pulley, and the ribs on the belt allow the belt to grip without being very tight, which is hard on the water pumps.

joe b    -- 08-07-2011 @ 7:28 PM
  I have had non script hoses on my '41 for 14 years now and no problems. I drive it in summer and put 500 or more miles on it in a year.
I also have a NAPA belt that has been on for 12 years.
My hoses came from C&G

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3529