Topic: Using Fog Lights as Turn Signals

Steves46    -- 08-06-2011 @ 3:26 PM
  I have a nice set of Ford script 6-volt fog lights on my 46 Coupe and would like to use them to function as front turn signals. Can this be done or will the amperage be too much? I am running stock 6-volt system. Thanks and by the way, I replaced my tired starter with a rebuilt unit that I purchased from Vern Davidson (great fellow to deal with). Boy, what a difference! You would swear that I was running a 12 volt system. Appreciate any info on the fog lights.

Stroker    -- 08-06-2011 @ 3:57 PM
  Steves46

One of the great things about this forum is that sooner or later someone will ask a question that I want an answer to. I have a 38 that I have wired a turn signal circuit separate from the original harness. I have the fog lights, and my plan was like yours to use them as turn signals. My plan is to use smaller bulbs, as the flasher (which relies upon resistance to
determine the flashing rate), prolly wouldn't work with the high-amp fog bulbs. So....I was
going to simply replace them with smaller bulbs.

What say the "electrical experts"?

Dolman    -- 08-06-2011 @ 6:48 PM
  My '34 pickup has only 1 tail light so I suppose I could wire it for left turn signals only. Seriously, what bulbs are in the fog lights? That will tell me what kind of sockets are in the cans. From there we can find a 6 volt bulb that will work in the socket. I did a quick Google search and found 6 volt flashers available. Also found 6 volt bulbs with a power dissipation of 18 watts. That computes to a current of 3.33 amps with a 6 volt supply. The resistance of the bulb in a DC circuit would be about 1.8 ohms. The sockets are the key because your fog light wiring is already sized to handle the load of the higher wattage bulb.

Model B    -- 08-06-2011 @ 6:51 PM
  Steve, When I had my '35 3W, approx 4 years ago, I installed new 6-volt fog lamps from Mac's (Unity) and used them as turn signals. I used a N.O.S. 7-wire turn-signal switch (with rubber cancelling wheel). You will need a heavy duty flasher. That is the long one. It will accept more resistance than the shorter one. The heavy duty flasher allows the bulb to blink at a good pace, whereas with the shorter version flasher, the lamp blinked too fast. I am about to add turn-signals to my '40 Conv. Good luck. Pat

Steves46    -- 08-06-2011 @ 7:18 PM
  Thanks Pat. Any recommended source for a 6-volt HD flasher? Steve

deluxe40    -- 08-06-2011 @ 7:19 PM
  I converted an old set of Appletons to turn indicators. I replaced the fog light bulbs with some smaller bulbs from Don's Bulbs. I think I just figured out the standard wattage for a turn indicator and matched that. It was tricky because the original bulbs were the kind with three keyway slots on a flange, but Don's had what I needed. Here's the url:

http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/1323%7c6v%7c32cp.html

G Tosel    -- 08-06-2011 @ 7:38 PM
  I converted my Appleton fog lights to turn signals and still have the fog lights. This model used a reflector and bulb socket with brass set screw, not seal beam lamp. I simply changed the socket to double element type and have both.

Gary M.    -- 08-06-2011 @ 7:55 PM
  I use a set of Macs fog lights as front signals and the stock rear lights in back. The control on the column is by signal stat and it came with a small rectangular flasher that works just fine.The bulbs in the fog lights are the yellow sealed beams that came with them.The bulbs are all quite visible,but by todays standards of bright LEDs they are only average.I am running a stock 6v system. I suggest an LED light bar in the rear window which acts as a brake and a turn signal. I also suggest a buzzer under the dash to warn you that your signal is on. I use all of these things on my 39 . Good luck...

Steves46    -- 08-07-2011 @ 5:36 AM
  The bulbs are sealed beams.

Gary M.    -- 08-07-2011 @ 8:07 AM
  Yes,I believe thats what they are called when the light and lense are all one piece,just like the old headlights.

supereal    -- 08-07-2011 @ 11:00 AM
  The place to look for heavy duty flashers is most RV dealers. We are tinkering with LED bulbs for that purpose, and while they need a ballast resistor, they seem to work well as turn signals.

flatheadfan    -- 08-07-2011 @ 5:35 PM
  Steve46-

I used seal beam fog lights on my '35 and to be honest, as turn signals they really didn't do the job for a couple of reasons. First, the on-and-off on the large seal beam bulbs are hard on the bulb and your available power (I am using a 6 volt system). Second, as large as they are they didn't really communicate my turning intentions to others very well. They just were not bright enough. I tried a relay and that did help the situation but the current draw was still high for a six volt system. In fact things got a little bizarre when I had my lights and radio on. Just not enough amps to go around.

Out of frustration I removed the fog lights and put on a couple of small turn signals like many hot rodders and Model A folks use. Now the power draw wasn't a problem. Even though the signals are smaller they are brighter and more noticeable to others.

Enclosed are some before and after pictures.

Hope this helps.

Tom

flatheadfan    -- 08-07-2011 @ 5:36 PM
  Second picture (after)-

40cpe    -- 08-07-2011 @ 6:18 PM
  Are those lights available with clear lenses?

flatheadfan    -- 08-08-2011 @ 12:28 AM
  40cpe-

If you are referring to the small turn signal lights I am using, I "think" they are available in clear. I know they are readily available in red and orange. Your best bet is to contact some of the after-market parts sellers. They are fairly common item.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3528