Topic: Hood Release

joe b    -- 08-05-2011 @ 8:05 PM
  I pulled the hood release on my '41 and the cable pulled out about 5 inches and I can't open the hood. What do I do now?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-06-2011 @ 10:34 AM
  did you see what happened?
did the cable pull out of the front release lock?
or cable break by the pull handle ?
you really have to supply more info,
you can drop the handle from the dash and see if the cable broke or if it pulled out of the front lock release,
if it pulled out of the front lock you might have a project on your hands, you will have to use a slender tool to push the lever in the front to release the hood lock. use a flash light and look in between the hood and grill,
let us know what you find,
maybe someone with a 41 can give more info,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

supereal    -- 08-06-2011 @ 10:46 AM
  As said, you can insert a long thin screwdriver between the hood and the grille and push the release lever. It is a good idea to protect the paint on the hood edge and top of the grille. We always install a wire loop on the release arm, and let it hang down behind the grille. The release cables, particularly old ones, have a bad habit of breaking, and the loop will come in handy, particularly if you need to open the hood out on the road.

joe b    -- 08-06-2011 @ 12:58 PM
  I pulled the release and the cable/handle came out about 5 in. and is stuck there will not push/pull any more.
I really can't see if the cable is pulled out of the hood release. I figured that using a bar or screwdriver was the way to do it. Having never had this happen before I was looking to see if there were other ways.

pbc64    -- 08-06-2011 @ 9:35 PM
  h*llo i have had that problem before you need to take your lower grill out on the drivers side reach your right hand up at the bottom of the hood latch find the cable and a sharp pull to the rear that will release the catch thats about the only way to relase it paul

joe b    -- 08-07-2011 @ 5:31 AM
  Pb that sounds like a good idea. I had thought about dropping the splash pan too. I will let you know how it goes.
Thanks to all.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3524