Topic: painting

j.grif    -- 08-05-2011 @ 4:26 PM
  In over my head with a paint job on a 36 coupe. Plan to do the job myself out by the barn or in it. First mistake was to prime the car with rust oluem primer. Well it turns out that rust oluem will not work with regular car paint. Have been told to cover the car again with epoxy primer and then regular paint will work. Could use rust oleum enamal over the rust oluem primer,but to later change to regular paint the car would have to be stripped to bare metal. So I have a nice new spray gun and the epoxy waiting for me to use after the paint area is set up. What do you think about that?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-05-2011 @ 4:54 PM
  I would strip the paint off the car and start over,
I think in time, if you used 2 different paints,you will have problems later on,sealer or not,,,peeling and lifting,is just a few,
if you go to a auto body shop supplier, they should lead you in the right direction,
they have pamplets on different type paints
and tell you what you need to do, step by step,and also will be able to mix the correct color for your car,
but this is only me and my 3 cents 37RAGTOPMAN

trjford8    -- 08-05-2011 @ 7:03 PM
  I would also agree that you should strip the car and start over. Check with the automotive paint store.A sealer might work, but it is doubtful. If you strip it make sure you get all the old paint out of any grooves as this tends to cause problems(bubbling, blistering, etc.) about 3-4 years down the road.
With any type paint be sure to use a good mask or breathing apparatus. This stuff can be deadly.

tommorookian    -- 08-06-2011 @ 4:44 AM
  So much depends on what your trying to do. Obviously this will not be a "show car". Years ago I patch paneled and painted my 69 F250 with Rustoleum. With a Wagner sprayer no less! Primed it and mixed a little black into a gallon of white to get a nice gray.

That paint was still solid after 6 years when I relocated and had to sell it.

If you use a decent spray gun and thin the Rusoleum down you can actually get a decent finish if all your building is a "driver". (and your cheap like me).

TomO    -- 08-06-2011 @ 7:18 AM
  Another vote for stripping the Rustoleum primer. I would sand it off rather than use a stripper. You must also be careful about the grooves and recesses.

Then I would use an epoxy primer as a sealer. Use only one brand of paint from start to finish as different brands may be incompatible.

Tom

supereal    -- 08-06-2011 @ 10:40 AM
  In my experience, all Rust-O-Leum paint is strange stuff, and will "lift" even the same brand. The biggest challenge to repainting an old vehicle is the silicone embedded in the pores of the metal from years of polishes, etc. I use an excellent painter with many years of experience. He had to repaint parts of my '47 more than once due to "fish eyss" caused by such contamination. Even the generous addition of fisheye preventer to the paint, and lots of special surface cleaner, didn't get them all. Car painting is as much an art as a science, and best left to the pros if you want a presentable outcome.

51f1    -- 08-06-2011 @ 1:45 PM
  I don't understand why people think they are going to paint a car with Rustoleum. I guess it's the familiarity with the product and fear of learning how to use a paint gun. I probably had those notions at some point, but I got over it when I found out that Rustoleum has a fish oil base, and automotive paint will not stick to it.

If you want to paint a car, let a professional do it. Or, if you just have to do it yourself, plan to get into it whole hog. Get advice from professionals: automotive paint dealers and automotive painters. Buy books on restoring cars. Buy the best compressor and paint gun you can afford. Build a temporary paint booth with a suitable exhaust or supply fan. Buy a good brand of automotive paint. Then you have to practice. I practiced on my truck by starting with the primer, and I worked up to the finish coat. My results weren't perfect, but they'll do. If I had to paint anther one, I'd be able to do better. Painting isn't all of the job either. You've got to prepare the surface for the paint. That's usually a bigger job than the painting.

Richard

40guy    -- 08-06-2011 @ 2:53 PM
  Sand all the rustoleum off. I use PPG DP90 epoxy primer. PPG basecoat/clearcoat. 3 coats color, 4 coats clear. This will allow for sanding and buffing if need be. Properly applied, this will be on the car long after we're gone.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3522