Topic: How tight? Filler neck '36 ford dr for fuel tank

flatfoot    -- 08-05-2011 @ 1:43 PM
  I am trying to tighten the filler neck on my '36 ford fordor. I removed 3 lead washers out of it when I had the tank redone. So, I put the 3 washers back(new ones) in. I have been able to tighten with two hands laying on back and one push tighten with my foot. Is this tight enough or do I keep going 'til it won't tighten anymore. I am notorious for breaking things trying to tighten too much. All ideas will be appreciated. Thanks. Dale Smith

MG    -- 08-05-2011 @ 2:24 PM
  I found that on my '37, hand tightening the filler pipe was never sufficent enough to prevent leakage. Using a spanner wrench to tighten the pipe was the only way I was able stop leakage.

flatfoot    -- 08-05-2011 @ 2:55 PM
  I am using my $50 spanner wrench, just want to make sure it's tight enough. So did you use your foot or feet to tighten it or was using your hands enough?

MG    -- 08-05-2011 @ 3:07 PM
  flatfoot,

Using a spanner, I never considered it necessary to use my feet/foot. I tightened it (by hand & arm) until the leakage stopped over a period of time. I never found it necessary to use excessive muscle to tighten it.

This message was edited by MG on 8-5-11 @ 3:32 PM

flatfoot    -- 08-05-2011 @ 4:52 PM
  Okay that's what I'll do. Thanks, MG for you help.

flatheadfan    -- 08-06-2011 @ 11:35 AM
  Dale-

I don't understand why the necessity of three lead washers. I have never heard of any situation that more than one was needed. In fact, the factory only put in one. It would seem that multiple lead washers would only increase the likelihood of the neck leaking or at the very minimum cause installation problems. I guess I need some enlightenment on this.

Tom

MG    -- 08-07-2011 @ 12:27 AM
  I ended up using three in my '37 in order to get a proper seal. I added them one at a time over a period of time until the leak stopped. When you buy these lead washers they come 3 to the pack. Some people get away with using only one.

Henryat1140    -- 08-07-2011 @ 5:23 AM
  When we put mine together, we used 'some' grease on the threads. We were lucky and it compressed the lead washer, and no leaks.

If I were doing it again, I would LIBERALLY apply grease to the threads of both pieces. You don't want the friction of the threads to prevent the neck from drawing down onto the seat. The kind of grease is not crucial, we used common chassis lube.

flatfoot    -- 08-07-2011 @ 8:55 PM
  When I removed the tank to refurbish it the 3 lead washers was already in it so I thought it would be wise to put 3 back in. That's how and why I did that. I just hope I have it tight enough. Thanks to you all for your ideas and procedures. Very helpful.

40 Coupe    -- 08-10-2011 @ 6:30 AM
  I do not believe the armstrong or the foot pound method will work properly to stop a leak in this area. I agree the spanner wrench is necessary, I believe Craftsman and MSD both sell one. I removed two seals from the neck of my 35. I replaced one, making sure both the tank side and the neck are clean and flat. Used neversieze on both the male and female threads and under the nut on the neck. Make sure the neck will tighten to the tank without a washer before installing one washer, other wise the nut may not be threading into the tank far enought.I had to pick a lot of crud out of the tank threads.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3521