Topic: STROMBERG 97 CARB

DONALD    -- 08-03-2011 @ 6:47 PM
  MY 59AB ENGINE ,MILD CAM ISKY1007 BORED .080,EDMONDS HEADS SINGLE 97 CARB CAN NOT GET IT TO IDLE THE WAY IT SHOULD.I KNOW IT GOING TO BE A LITTLE ROUGH.BUT IT SHOULD BE SMOOTH .THERE IS GAS DRIPPING FROM THE EMULISON TUBE OF THE CARB AND I HAVE TO KEEP THROTTLE PLATE OPEN QUITE A BIT TO KEEP IT IDELING, QUESTION ,IS THIS NORMAL FOR GAS TO DRIP,TALKED TO CHARLIE NY AND GOT A FEW SUGGESTIONS,BUT STILL DRIPPING.ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE APPRECIATED I HAVE ABOUT 12 VAC WHILE TRYING TO GET IT TO IDLE,IDLE JETS HAVE LITTLE EFFECT, HAVE DOUBLE CHECKED FOR LEAKS. DON

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-04-2011 @ 9:20 AM
  check the float level,fuel pressure,and for any dirt in the needle and seat,
also you did not say if it running rich,
also when you first start a new engine I have seen one of the plugs get fouled and this also causes a bad idle, this is also possible
my 3 cents 37RAGTOPMAN

supereal    -- 08-04-2011 @ 11:02 AM
  There are two idle fuel paths, one for slow idle and one for higher engine speed. The slow circuit operates until about 500 rpm, and the other takes over until about 1250. From your description, it is likely that the idle circuit screws (needles) or their seats may be damaged. Overtightening the needles can do damage, and I'd pull them out and look at the points. There are two idle discharge holes, one below and one above the throttle plate. As the throttle plate is moved above the upper hole, fuel is discharged from both holes. Flow from the lower hole is controlled by manifold vacuum. Seeing some fuel coming out of the main discharge (emulsion) tube is normal as engine speed increases. Be sure the tube is in place, or the air bleed holes will be closed, causing an overrich mixture and poor low speed performance. Same is true if the idle feed tube inside the carb that sends fuel to the idle passages is blocked.

DONALD    -- 08-04-2011 @ 4:06 PM
  sounds like i need to find the idle feed tube, i have checked all passages above and below throttle plates float level, and have gravity feednhave had the emulsion tube out and cleaned ,all went back smooth , idle jets look good ,did all this today,put it back togeather same problem with popping from exhaust now ,still wont idle .

supereal    -- 08-04-2011 @ 7:23 PM
  I'd run a wet/dry compression test to see if you have a valve problem that would explain the popping, as well as a vacuum decrease affecting the carb. An alternative is to use a vacuum gauge. If you need a diagnostic chart, I'll post one.

40 Coupe    -- 08-05-2011 @ 5:49 AM
  another place to look is the cast iron EE-1 base. If you remove the base and the idle mixture screws blow compressed air through the two small passages L & R. on the inside of the venturi are two small holes, one above the closed throttle plate and one below and air should be discharging from both on both sides. The upper hole is #63 or .037" and the lower for the idle mixture adjustment is #56 or .046. Look at the gasket to the center section of the carb and it should have holes for the two small holes in the base.

trjford8    -- 08-05-2011 @ 10:03 AM
  Are you running an electric fuel pump? If so you may have too much pressure and need a regulator.

supereal    -- 08-05-2011 @ 2:45 PM
  The 97 carbs were good in their time, but if I was running a 59AB with a mild cam, I'd use the later 94 carb, anyway. We used the 97's when we were stock car racing because we could swap jets easily. The later "T" bar type are considerably smoother.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-06-2011 @ 10:13 AM
  97's Were good in there time, really ?
whats all that about,??? 37RAGTOPMAN
been using one for 35 years with no problems.
just traveled to SARATOGA SPRINGS, NY, from MID COAST MAINE,a TOTAL of 782 MILES round trip,over the VERMONT and NEW HAMPSIRE mountains. with no problems, no vapor lock,with a original fuel pump,in 80 degree plus weather.
I think the Stromberg 97 is one of the most trouble free carbs ever used,

supereal    -- 08-06-2011 @ 10:31 AM
  Can't argue with good luck. My point is that numerous improvements were made in carburetor design in later years, and resorting to obsolete models usually will not produce much, if any, improvement in operation, and may, in fact, introduce new problems. One reason they were popular with multiple carb manifolds was the extra clearance between carbs that was not available with later types. I'm not sure why fuel pump type and ambient temperature, or the lack of "vapor lock" figure in your praise of the 97, in any case. They are not a bad carb, but hardly troublefree.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3511