Topic: Change from 6V to 12V System

miwi    -- 08-03-2011 @ 1:53 AM
  Hi,

I'm change my '52 F1 from 24V (orginal french flathead)/6V to 12V. This coul dbe a kind of stupid question, because I'm not the electical expert. What kind of battery could you recommend? Orginal is a 6V 120Amp hrs.
I'll run it with a PowerGen 75amps , Flame Thrower coil, 12V Starter and orginal french build distributor.

Thanks for your help

Michael

supereal    -- 08-03-2011 @ 6:19 AM
  Converting to 12 volts is a big job. The instruments must have a voltage dropper installed, all light bulbs, including the dash lights, must be changed, along with generator, regulator, and any other component that is affected by the higher voltage, such as the wiper motor, etc.. Most who convert do so because of slow starting. Due to the expense involved, it is better to repair the original system. By the time you replace the items you have listed, the bill will be considerable. A six volt system, in good condition, is as effective as a 12 volt type. As to a battery, the Optima gel cell has become a favorite for old car use, both for cranking power, and for holding a charge for very long period of time, such as storage.

supereal    -- 08-03-2011 @ 6:27 AM
  I read your header as a conversion from six to 12 volts, but the text says 24 to 12. While the principle is the same, there is a difference. If you are just changing engines, you can can convert it with the items you outline, leaving the rest of the vehicle stock. Please pardon the confusion regarding your post,, but you are not clear as to your intent.

miwi    -- 08-03-2011 @ 6:30 AM
  The reason for changeing is safety. If you have your lights on, it is raining, you wanna turn right and hit the brake, what happens. The lights are going dull, the wiper turns slower. I didn't think about starting

This message was edited by miwi on 8-4-11 @ 3:04 AM

miwi    -- 08-03-2011 @ 6:32 AM
  The french engine is a 24 V truck engine. I had replace the starter and the alternator from 24V to 12 V. All other things like relais, bulbs have to change from 6V to 12V.

supereal    -- 08-03-2011 @ 6:46 AM
  I believe I would have changed the engine to six volts and made it easier. If you could find 12 volt starter, etc, six volt type would usually also fit. As to headlights, etc, dimming or slowing, that is almost always due to bad grounds, switches, and connections that will still be there when you convert. You will need to check your wiring, piece by piece, to eliminate that problem. I fabricated a relay board for my six volt car to operate the headlights, which were dim. It bypasses the usual circuitry, such as the dimmer switch, etc, and operates as before, but feeds direct battery voltage to the lights. They are now as bright as anyone's 12 volt type.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3509