Topic: Starter drive cover.

Gary M.    -- 08-02-2011 @ 6:25 PM
  How do you remove the starter drive cover from the bell housing on a 39 Standard,and can the starter drive be changed without removing the entire starter? Thanks....

supereal    -- 08-02-2011 @ 8:03 PM
  You must remove the starter to change the drive. Disconnect the cable, then the two thru bolts, and pull the starter back out of the clutch housing. Be careful, as the starter is quite heavy, and usually is slippery with a coat of oil. It isn't much fun to drop it on your head! Be careful to keep the starter together after you loosen the thru bolts so it doesn't come apart as you remove it.

This message was edited by supereal on 8-2-11 @ 8:04 PM

TomO    -- 08-03-2011 @ 7:22 AM
  The starter drive housing on the oil pan is crimped in place and not designed to be removable.

In addition to Supereals excellent instructions, there should be a bracket from the starter thru bolt to the oil pan, that must be removed also. Do not remove the thru bolts from the starter. You will be able to feel when they are backed out of the oil pan, but still in the starter.

Tom

42wagon    -- 08-03-2011 @ 8:51 AM
  Gary
In addition to what you have been told already that little clip/bracket is essential. It keeps the starter up in the correct position. Without it you run the risk of the starter drive becoming only partially engaged and jammed in the flywheel.
Ted

Gary M.    -- 08-03-2011 @ 6:58 PM
  Thanks for the excellent info about the starter mounting. That bracket is on the back of the starter but I had no idea where it mounted to and how important it was to the starter operation. Maybe thats why the drive jammed and broke in the first place. The bracket has not been attached since I bought the car. Thanks again....

35ragtop    -- 08-03-2011 @ 10:28 PM
  Hi guys,
does anyone sell that little bracket. Mine is missing and I have seen several references to that bracket on this excellent forum
Dave h

Kens 36    -- 08-04-2011 @ 6:40 AM
  Dave,

C&G has it for $5.00, part # 51A-11150.

Other vendors may have it as well.

Ken

35ragtop    -- 08-04-2011 @ 12:52 PM
  thank you Ken
I will order one today

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3507