Topic: Starting Trouble

53Eddie    -- 08-01-2011 @ 7:21 AM
  Cant get the engine to start. New plugs, clean carb, timing is set perfectly and the battery is good. I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing. The engine was running, but after setting the timing, I couldn't get it running again. It cranks but won't run. Any suggestions?

TomO    -- 08-01-2011 @ 7:39 AM
  Check for a good spark.

Did you disconnect the vacuum advance when you timed it? Did you adjust the points?

Tom

supereal    -- 08-01-2011 @ 9:38 AM
  Are you sure that the distributor didn't shift position after setting the timing? The tab on the head that holds the distributor into place may have hung up before securing the unit. You can pull the distributor cap and set the crank pulley mark to the pointer and see if the rotor is pointing at #1 cylinder plug wire (the first one on the passenger side). If it doesn't, turn the crank pulley around to the next time the mark comes up to be sure you are on the compression stroke. If the distributor cap wasn't fully in place, the rotor may be damaged, as well. Almost always, the last thing you did is the cause of a new problem. Setting the timing is probably where the failure to start began.

53Eddie    -- 08-01-2011 @ 10:05 AM
  Thanks for the reply, Yes, the vacuum was disconnected, but I didn't adjust the points.

53Eddie    -- 08-01-2011 @ 10:07 AM
  Thanks, I'll try a new rotor

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 08-01-2011 @ 12:40 PM
  take the dist cap off,
have someone turn the engine over with the key on and turn the engine over.
the points should be arcing,a spark across them,if so check the coil by placing the end that goes into the dist cap, about 1/4 inch away from a ground and see if the ignition spark jumps to ground,[ becarefull you do not get stung by the spark,]
it should be blue and make a snapping sound,
also check the primary wiring coming from the ignition switch and both primary wire on the coil, it has to be something you overlooked,DOES IT BACKFIRE???when trying to start it?
lets hear how you made out,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

supereal    -- 08-01-2011 @ 1:21 PM
  There is a ground wire that fastens under one of the point screws, and a primary wire that runs under the point plate. Be sure they are intact. The primary wire can wear thru after contact with the rotor shaft, and can be hard to see. I chased them more than once to find why an engine went dead. At least, you were not out on the road!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3505