Topic: Nice route to Auburn

Henryat1140    -- 07-31-2011 @ 8:30 PM
  When I went to Auburn last year from the east, I went on interstates and turnpikes. For my return trip one of the V8'ers suggested secondary roads, and on the way back I did use them. I don't remember exactly what route it was, but some were dual lane, some just nice wide 2 lanes.

So I am asking for some recommendations for a nice low stress route from, say Pittsburgh to Auburn. I will be pulling a trailer. What secondary roads on that route do you like? Why? What to stay away from.

How is route 30 from Lisbon, Canton, Mansfield?

ford38v8    -- 07-31-2011 @ 9:17 PM
  Way to go Henry! Another convert! My no stress method: Get a large road atlas and mark a state highway route the night before you leave. Avoid all freeways, toll roads, and cities.

Incredibly, you can drive ocean to ocean without ever touching a freeway! 3000 miles becomes 3500, 6 days becomes 9 days, and the trip becomes the vacation, because when you get to the destination, the trip is over!

Alan

supereal    -- 08-01-2011 @ 6:49 AM
  Fire up your browser and print up info from Mapquest, etc, and make up a travel book. In many places the old routes have been retitled and difficult to find. For instance, Route 6 here, in Iowa, is mostly absorbed by the Interstate, but is still there, winding thru lots of small towns and other interesting places. Even though my '47 can run at Interstate speeds, it makes for a "white knuckle" trip. The idea of a long trip is fun, not dodging huge trucks and traffic jams!

JM    -- 08-01-2011 @ 1:05 PM
  Henry, after my panic stop brake failure experience on I81 heading to Saratoga Springs, I'm also planning a slower pace, lower stress route to Auburn. What I'm thinking about is taking the Lincoln Highway, Rt. 30, from Lancaster, PA to Fort Wayne, IN and then north on I69 for a short distance to Auburn. May come back the same route or look for some other non interstate routes.

JM

TomO    -- 08-01-2011 @ 3:57 PM
  If you take Rt 49 north from US 30 to Hwy 8 at Hicksville and then go west to Auburn, you can avoid I-69 and the Ft Wayne traffic.

Tom

JM    -- 08-02-2011 @ 6:35 PM
  Tom, I just looked at a map of Indiana and your suggestion to take 49 to 8 instead of I69 to Aubun makes sense to me. Thanks for the suggestion.

JM

TomO    -- 08-03-2011 @ 7:26 AM
  JM, you are welcome.

That section of the ride is very nice. Very little traffic and scenic. We used most of the route on a tour during one of the Motorfests. The only problem we had was with a turtle crossing Hwy 8.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3502