Topic: Thanks to some Great V8'ers

Texas40    -- 07-31-2011 @ 9:26 AM
  As many of you know, I experienced trouble during the ENM. On the driving tour to Vermont I lost my driveline operation on the 40. Turns out the problem was the rear hub bearing/race surface failure causing the axle to damage the 3rd member assy. (Columbia is okay) All this looked to us like UJoint or clutch failures at the time. Good news is the damage is minimal--and a new hub sleeve will solve the issue. I will replace axle, spiders and bearings just to be safe.
I want to publically thank some great V8er's for their help during my trip. I especially want to recognize Dick Spadaro (Spadaro Reproductions) who not only allowed us to work on my car in his shop, but he made his knowledge, tools, parts and time availble to me. Plus he moved his car out of storage so I could store mine till I could come back with a trailer. I also want to thank Ron Michon of Schenectady NY for recovering me from Vermont and taking me to Altamont NY and Dicks shop. Guys who help folks on the road in trouble like this represent what the V8 club is all about. Bob York

ford38v8    -- 07-31-2011 @ 10:27 AM
  Bob, You've expressed what is common knowledge to many V8ers around the world. Your experience of fellow members going out of their way to help has happened countless times and will continue as long as this club is in existence. Going on 49 and counting, the EV8 Club offers the mosgt useful tool anyone can carry in their car: The V8 Roster.

On a related note, curious minds want to know... How come the engine had to come out for a 3rd member failure?????? Ha Ha!

Alan

Texas40    -- 07-31-2011 @ 11:38 AM
  In the 40 I was pulling out of the Hemmings parking lot on the way back to the host hotel when I got a hard "lock up" type noise and feel which came from under the floor board. Sure seemed like the U joint let go. It would not move under load. I just figured from the feel it was clutch or U joint. Goes to show how the sound in these solid drivelines can fool you big time.

ford38v8    -- 07-31-2011 @ 2:45 PM
  I know the feeling you get at times like that. Diagnosis has to share brain space with panic and embarrassment.

Alan

Kens 36    -- 08-01-2011 @ 6:12 AM
  Bob,

Thanks for the update. Glad you are back home and that the damage is not more serious.

I'll second the "Thank You" to Dick Spadaro. As many of you know, Dick loaned me his garage and assisted me in repairing my Bendix on the way to the meet. A great V-8er!

Ken

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3495