Topic: '41 ford coupe

ftda1941sd    -- 07-30-2011 @ 7:47 PM
  Can anyone tell me the difference between a coupe, coupe sedan and a sport coupe. Mine had a back seat (2 pcs)tossed in but not in place and doesn't seem to fit. The front seat is split and the seat backs fold toward the middle. It has short doors 35 1/2 inches. In the back seat area is a metal piece that extends under the 3 windows and looks like possible a bracket for a shelf. Is the "coupe" also called a business coupe? I'm thinking this is a 3 pass business coupe but not sure. Thanks. Bob A.

ford38v8    -- 07-30-2011 @ 8:14 PM
  1941 had a Business Coupe, with or without Jump Seats, available in DeLuxe and Super Deluxe.
A Coupe, available in Special, DeLuxe, and Super Deluxe.
and a Sedan Coupe, available only in Super DeLuxe.

The Sedan Coupe and the Business Coupe both had slpit back front seats. The Business Coupe with Jump Seats, officially named Auxilliary Seats, had two drop down seats attached to the back panel. These drop down seats each had a folding leg. There was a narrow package tray behind. The Sedan Coupe had a full width narrow thinly upholstered rear seat and seat back.

Alan

TomO    -- 07-31-2011 @ 9:17 AM
  Ford also made a coupe with a solid back bench seat in 1941. The backrest was raised to access a storage compartment where the jump seats are installed on the models with the split back seat. This coupe had a fixed shelf covering the storage compartment.

Because your coupe has the split back bench seat, it should have the jump seats. There should be mounting braces for the jump seats.

The jump seats seat portion folded up to provide easier access to the seating area and were functional only for children. There was upholstery around the complete compartment.

Tom

ftda1941sd    -- 07-31-2011 @ 6:39 PM
  thanks Alan & Tom. I dont see any hardware for attaching a jump seat on either side. The 2 piece back seat doesn't seem to belong either although it did match the upholstery of the front seat. The car does have a riser about 3 inches high and maybe 10 inches deep across the rear area but then maybe they all did. The jump seats attached to the side, is this correct? Bob A.

ford38v8    -- 07-31-2011 @ 6:49 PM
  Bob, the jump seats attached to the divider, facing front. The 1940 had jump seats attached to the side, facing each other.

Alan

ftda1941sd    -- 08-06-2011 @ 6:55 PM
  thanks Alan, I'll make a note in my folder for later reference. I may not put in any seats in the back but I have a long time before I get to that stage. bob

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3493