Topic: wiring 48 coupe

shogun1940    -- 07-27-2011 @ 5:18 AM
  ok who makes the best wiring harness for a 48 coupe and what is the best way to upgrade the old houdale shocks rebuild or put tube shocks on????????

51f1    -- 07-27-2011 @ 5:37 AM
  Don't know about '48 coupes, but I am certainly satisfied with my '51 truck wiring. I got it from Rhode Island Wiring. They were easy to deal with. They included modifications for turn signals that worked like they should. There were numerous drawings furnished that helped to make the rewiring easier. They ain't cheap, but you have to pay for quality and service.

Richard

supereal    -- 07-27-2011 @ 7:15 AM
  If lever shocks were better than tubes, we would still be using them. They were victims of evolution. We went from friction shocks to knee action, and levers, until tube shocks were perfected. Just be sure they are correct for your car. Installing the mounts is not a small job.

tierod    -- 07-28-2011 @ 9:33 PM
  R.I. Wiring

shogun1940    -- 07-29-2011 @ 2:43 PM
  you guys are right about being expenisve , looks like $500 buy the time you buyt the whole car setup thanks for the website

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 07-29-2011 @ 5:39 PM
  shogun1940
if you use RHODE ISLAND WIRING you will only have to do it ONE TIME, you might want to consider this,
they are not cheap but are the best or one of the best,
you are buying AMERICAN MADE , NOT TAIWAN,
on the shocks do you want to keep it original ?
you have to ask yourself this,
there is nothing wrong using originals.
in the end the cost is about the same the originals are easy to remove and replace,
the tubes are much harder to install the first time,
and are easy to replace later on,
there are a few people rebuilding the originals , ADVERTISING in the
V8 TIMES, joining the V8 FORD CLUB has many ADVANTAGES.
HOPE THIS HELPS,,,,
my 3 cents 37RAGTOPMAN

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 7-29-11 @ 8:17 PM

shogun1940    -- 07-30-2011 @ 6:57 PM
  well i am not looking for an pure stock car, iwant it ride and handle the best i can make, tube shocks go in on an angle in the rear so they should help stabilize the car . now i have to find the parts, later model 48 came with tube shocks i think.

supereal    -- 07-31-2011 @ 9:29 AM
  Tube shocks and mounts are available in kit form so you don't have to conduct a "treasure hunt". Chassis Engineering is one source, as is C&G. See the kits for front and back in their online catalog www.cgfordparts.com They are bolt-on design, but the rear drums have to come off. These kits, complete with shocks and hardware, will come close to $500, but really improve ride and handling. Tube shocks appeared from the factory in '47. Mine is an August car, and came with the tubes.

TomO    -- 07-31-2011 @ 9:34 AM
  The tube shocks and the Houdaille both give the same ride and stability if correctly sized or rebuilt.

The main reason Ford changed over in 1948 was price and availability. The tube shocks were being used on most cars by then and cost a lot less than the lever shocks. They fact that they had to be replaced more often did not make any difference to HFII.

Modern tube shocks will last many years, so the real choice is install whatever you want to spend your money on.

Tom

shogun1940    -- 08-01-2011 @ 6:06 PM
  thanks for all the advice , now i have to make up my mind

trjford8    -- 08-02-2011 @ 8:43 PM
  shogun, you might check Sacramento Vintage Ford for wiring. They make their kits in house and are fairly reasonable. I have used them on prior occasions and they use good materials. If you go the 12 volt route you can use amny different universal kits such as EZ Wire, Kwik Wire, Painless, etc.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3472