Topic: Boat with 1935 FHV8 restoration

franc    -- 11-21-2009 @ 6:35 PM
  Restoring this boat and engine I face a number of challenges. Engine is installed in reverse direct drive, Speedo vs Tach, distibutor conversion marine conversion exhaust manifolds, external water pump. Carb height need lower profile for air intake, and I can go on. Boat was built by boat builder/ hot rod head in Stockton area. Mid 30's lincoln dash. Truck fuel tank. Running board step pads. Well done. Does anyone have an interest in weighing in on decisions.

wmsteed    -- 11-21-2009 @ 6:56 PM
  From about 1968 until 1977 I had a '53 17' Built-right. The boat was a wood boat with a '53 8CM Merc and a Capital velvet drive transmission.
The engine was "built" having a Howard cam, 4 brl carb and Malory ignition. It ran very well, I taught a lot of kids how to ski behind that boat... I also towed a lot of hot boats off the lake after they had died for some reason or another.

If you go searching around the internet under the heading "wood boats" or Chris Craft you will probably find a lot of info... Another topic to look at would be Ford V8 marine engines...
Ford sold a lot of engines to manufactures that built things other than the Ford cars/trucks.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

ford38v8    -- 11-21-2009 @ 7:27 PM
  Frank, A '35 V8 has Babbitt bearings, which are expensive and difficult
to find a shop capable of pouring. Inserts came out for the '36 LB
block. There is no way that I know of, short of dismantling, to
determine if yours is a '35, or hopefully, a '36 LB, as they both appear
identical on the exterior. If the historical appearance of 21 vs 24 studs
isn't a consideration, the marine bolt-ons should fit a later more
available block, such as the 81A of '38-'41 vintage. This model would
have an advantage over later models in that the distributor is more
water resistant as the '35 is.

A Merc sidedraft carb should solve the profile issue.

Alan

TomO    -- 11-22-2009 @ 8:05 AM
  Alan, the Mercury side draft carburetor has a 4 bolt mount to the intake manifold and would require a special adapter or intake to mount on a 21 stud engine. Also it is not much shorter than the stock Stromberg carburetor.

If the clearance problem is due to the air cleaner, he could use the heavy duty oil bath air cleaner that mounts on the head.

Tom

franc    -- 11-22-2009 @ 8:53 AM
  Alan and Tom, I have located a Merc side draft and think it might work. I'll need to cut down the intake manifold and level since the engine sits a such an angle. Have I got enough meat at the top to make the alteration. Alan, I've found another 35 motor with bearing problem solved. I've been at this awhile. Another problem is switching my distibutor from the behive to up and out the top to pick up room to hook up this transmission I found. You guys must think I'm nuts.

franc    -- 11-22-2009 @ 8:57 AM
  Transmission problem

wmsteed    -- 11-22-2009 @ 10:32 AM
  The flat head V8 in the boat I had, was mounted with the front of the engine facing forward, the Capitol trans was then hooked up in a more conventional manner.
I believe your "wet manifolds" are reversible by switching them from left to right.

Is the trans you have a single speed, e.g. in/out. no reverse? I have an old Capitol trans with forward and reverse. The trans appears to be in very good shape.

There are probably several viewers of this topic that think you are nuts and/or have no business posting your questions to this forum. Through out the many years that I have been posting comments to this forum, I have been taken to task a few times for not having PURE FORD THOUGHTS.... I figure that if a man, (OP's. or woman) asks a question, they deserve an answer to their question..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

wmsteed    -- 11-22-2009 @ 10:39 AM
  Toms comment about an "oil bath" air cleaner on a boat is a NO NO. Boats have to have a flame arresting marine type dry air cleaners.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

ford38v8    -- 11-22-2009 @ 11:00 AM
  Franc & Tom, I wasn't aware that the Merc sidedraft was a 4 bolt,
however, you may be able to find a 4 bolt marine intake manifold, but
it would be backwards for your application. To cut down a manifold as
you have pictured, you are likely to encounter the heat riser cavity, but
that can be patched with JBWeld, drilled and tapped. As an alternative,
a blister on the boat would accommodate a carb of your choice.

I believe there was an adapter for the later 8BA '49-'53 distributor to
the earlier block, but good luck finding one. Best to just go with the
later block and be done with the issue.

And yes, you are nuts. Aren't we all?

Alan

1952CustomlineBob    -- 11-22-2009 @ 10:06 PM
  IMHO-none of this sounds crazy,back then the boat mfg's were looking to power their products with what was the most common powerplant availible;just like today.
The Engines and Technology are different,but the principle is the same.
Bob

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=347