Topic: Columbia

Sporty40    -- 07-22-2011 @ 8:53 AM
  Would a '40 Merc Columbia match up to a '40 Ford Coupe?
Thanks in advance for your reply!

Sporty

TomO    -- 07-24-2011 @ 8:51 AM
  The Columbia half of the differential is the same on the Ford and Mercury. The 40 Mercury differential assembly will not fit in a 40 Ford due to the 4" longer drive shaft.

Tom

Sporty40    -- 07-24-2011 @ 9:17 AM
  TomO,
I really appreciate your reply. I thought it was most likely too good to be true. Thanks! Sporty

Stroker    -- 07-24-2011 @ 9:48 AM
  Sporty: As usual, Tom O is correct in his answer to your original question. However, If you
have a 40 Ford rear axle assembly, and a 40 Merc w/Columbia at hand, you can simply swap out the
Merc Columbia onto your Ford rear axle/driveshaft/center section.

Sporty40    -- 07-28-2011 @ 12:10 PM
  Stroker,
I'm a little dense, so please bear with me. I may be able to purchase a '40 Merc Columbia with controls, but do not have the Merc vehicle available to me. Is that what you meant? Thanks for your comments! Sporty

Stroker    -- 07-28-2011 @ 1:03 PM
  Sporty: The Merc and Ford Columbia overdrive assemblies are the same. The dash control knob may be a different color, but all the Columbia parts should be usable on your 40 Ford. What TomO was referring to was that if you wanted to substitute an entire 40 Columbia-equipped Mercury rear axle assembly (drive shaft, radius rods, etc.) you would find that the driveshaft is too long, since the Merc has a longer wheelbase.

The only other caveat I can think of is that your 40 coupe likely has a 3.78 rear axle ratio.
That may end up being a little too "tall" to run with the Columbia, and you may want to consider a 4:11 (easy to find) gear set for your Ford rear end.

I would highly recommend contacting John Connolly at http://columbiatwospeedparts.com, as
he is the Clubs expert on setting up Columbia's so that they are "bulletproof", and makes the parts to do it.

Sporty40    -- 07-28-2011 @ 1:36 PM
  Stroker: Thanks for the additional information and the recommendations. This really helps me determine which direction to go. Your comments are appreciated.
Sporty

Stroker    -- 07-28-2011 @ 2:00 PM
  Sporty:

You are certainly welcome. My 38 came with a Columbia which I "broke" in the 50's by
trying to take-off in low overdrive with a large 3-carb'd stroker motor. I still have all the parts, and in the intervening years have found a good extra set of "innards".

I'm planning on re-installing it, but not without using John's upgrades, even though I'm
currently running a mild stock-appearing motor.

I really loved the Columbia, and I look forward once more to cruising down the highway at 65+ without "buzzing" the old flatmotor, (which is the same age as I am).

Sporty40    -- 07-28-2011 @ 2:46 PM
  Stroker: I hear you! My '40 & I share the same birthday, but I've only had her for about 4 years. My memories of driving late 40's & early 50's Fords with Columbias are great, and I miss those days of smooth running old flatheads. You could wind 'em out in second gear overdrive & shift into high with no effort for a nice smooth ride. The gas mileage was pretty good, and the gas wars made it even better!
Sporty

wmsteed    -- 07-29-2011 @ 8:54 AM
  Your memories from the 50's of winding a Columbia equipped V8 up in 2nd over and them shifting into high gear for smooth cruising maybe a little dim.
The Columbia's were set up so that the minute the clutch was depressed to shift, the Columbia shifted into low range which would require an additional shift into high range...
I installed a separate toggle switch into the controls on my Columbia so I could control when and how mine would shift...
In the days when I street raced my Ford, I would usually shift into 2nd over and not shift again because I could "pin the speedometer" in 2nd over with my 3.78 gearing.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

Texas40    -- 07-29-2011 @ 10:16 AM
  3:78 gear with a columbia works just fine. As a matter of fact, I run a 3:54 with the columbia and it works great.

Sporty40    -- 07-31-2011 @ 9:43 AM
  I understand what you are saying, and yes, I can be a little "dim". Thanks for your comments.

Sporty40    -- 07-31-2011 @ 9:55 AM
  Texas40,
Thanks for the info!
Sporty

Stroker    -- 08-01-2011 @ 4:30 PM
  Texas 40:

You must not live in the "Hill Country". I grew up, in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains so we had some serious grades to contend with, and that has probably colored my thinking towards the "low-side" (high numerical ratios). In addition, my Station Wagon weighs more than a coupe or sedan, and if you add 8 teen age occupants, I was carrying about 1200 lbs of "baggage"; thus the 4.11:1 ratio recommendation.

So, I concur with you that in the "flatland's", one could probably pull a 3.78:1 or 3.54:1, with a strong motor and light car. When I "inherited" this wagon from my big sister, it had 4.44:1 gears, since dad used it to pull his heavy wooden 2-horse trailer with the wagon cargo space filled with 3-wire alfalfa bales. Pulling a load makes a big difference, and I suspect not many EV8CA cars are asked to do that. He used to "split-shift" his wagon like a truck; that is: 1st under; 1st over; 2nd under; 2nd over; 3rd under; and 3rd over when pulling a trailer in the mountains, which gave him the functional equivalent of a 6-speed close-ratio transmission.

I suspect that if one simply uses his Columbia as an "overdrive", only shifting it up in 3rd gear, it should last forever. When I "trashed" mine, it was because I still had the 4.44:1 gears, and I had a 302-inch Mercury stroker motor, in 1st overdrive. This put all the torque
through the planetary gear set, resulting in splitting the outer internal gear. Apparently,
others have done that, so John supplies a stronger component to guard against this.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3444