Topic: Trunk Handle

Steves46    -- 11-21-2009 @ 2:54 PM
  It looks like I need to replace the trunk handle on my 46 Coupe and although all the parts houses carry them (a bit pricy if I may add), are these re-pops good exact fits? If anyone has used these, I would appreciate any info you can provide. I did place a want ad for an original or NOS version.

G Tosel    -- 11-21-2009 @ 4:27 PM
  I have an NOS trunk handle with the original box for sale. No key lock included. $125.00 including shipping.

The replacement handle uses a normal lock/unlock and I believe the key must remain when unlocked.

Please let me know if you are interested.

This message was edited by G Tosel on 11-21-09 @ 4:28 PM

Steves46    -- 11-22-2009 @ 12:02 PM
  I appreciate the offer but that's a bit more than what I would like to spend.

trjford8    -- 11-22-2009 @ 7:38 PM
  Steve, I have used the repo handles and they work just fine. I've always used the Drake handles.

Steves46    -- 11-25-2009 @ 12:05 PM
  I received my replacement handle today and when I inserted it through the opening on the trunk, the base will not fit flush. It appears the thicker portion about 1/2 in. up from the shaft at the end is keeping it from going in any further. From the back side, I can only see about 2 thread rings for the the securing nut to latch to. I am convinced that I am overlooking something. Is there a trick to mounting these. I "thought" it would be a pretty straight forward job. I would very much appreciate any help.

supereal    -- 11-25-2009 @ 6:07 PM
  The problem usually happens when a repo handle is tried in an original base, or the other way around. When my '47 was rear ended a couple of years ago, it ruined the NOS trunk handle, leaving the base intact, but a repo handle I had was too short. I finally ordered Drake's complete assembly, even though I had problems with one of theirs previously. They promised the new ones didn't have those problems, and I'm happy with it. Anything that has been chromed is going to be pricey if it is worth having.

trjford8    -- 11-25-2009 @ 6:57 PM
  Bob is right on this. When you try to fit a repo part with an original part there is usually a fit problem. In most cases the repo part has to be filed or sanded to get it to fit with an original part. If you buy the complete repo assembly they are fine because they came from the same source(usually China).Today's repo parts are much better than those of 30 years ago, but there are still problems.

Steves46    -- 11-26-2009 @ 6:55 AM
  I really appreciate the inputs. One thing that I didn't mention was that I removed the latch mechanism from the deck lid to see if there was a fit issue between the handle and base-it fit perfectly. Although the sqaure portion of the handle shaft fits through the square hole of the latch, the rounded portion of the shaft is what is keeping the handle from going in any further. Looks like I need to do some filing-down this morning. At least I should have a good appetite when turkey time arrives!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=344