Topic: 36 ford starter

crisscross    -- 11-20-2009 @ 4:56 PM
  I have a 36 trunkback I think the starter bendix is not leaving the fly wheel after cranking. What kind of problems would be caused from that besides wearing brushes. Could voltage back feed thru pos. grnd. My ignition coil will get so hot you can't touch it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

ford38v8    -- 11-20-2009 @ 7:24 PM
  Criss, While it is initially activated by an electromagnet, your Bendix is a
mechanical component. If it has a broken spring and won't disengage
from your flywheel, it will make more noise than your ears could handle,
and will destroy the teeth on your flywheel, but will have no impact on
any electrical components.

Alan

TomO    -- 11-21-2009 @ 8:20 AM
  Alan forgot to tell you that you would have to pull the engine to have a new ring gear pressed on your flywheel.

The starter is fairly easy to remove. There are two bolts that go though the starter and into the pan. There may also be a bracket that supports the front of the starter, it has a bolt going into the block, though the oil pan.

I would suggest that you remove your starter and inspect the Bendix drive, if your starter makes noise when the engine is running.

Tom

supereal    -- 11-21-2009 @ 8:55 AM
  In addition to the above, there are a couple of possibilities. The starter shaft must be clean and dry for the drive to retract. If there is any oil seepage into the flywheel housing, it is likely the drive has become coated with crud. Also, be sure that the starter shaft isn't bent. This happens when the engine backfires while the starter is engaged. There is a bracket that supports the end of the starter on the front (toward the front of the car) to prevent twisting of the starter under load. It is part # 51A-11150 ($5 at C&G). As to the hot coil, be sure that the ignition resistor is in place and properly connected. When the engine is off, connect a voltmeter between the input terminal of the coil and ground. Turn on the ignition and rotate the engine until the points close. You shouldn't see more than 3-4 volts. Higher voltage will cook your coil. It is also possible that the coil has shorted turns, and will need to be rebuilt. If it is an original coil, it needs to be rebuilt, in any case.

crisscross    -- 11-21-2009 @ 5:24 PM
  Thanks alot for knowledge on starter. Now back to coil Ihad coil and distributor redo by skip. Does anyone no exactly what he does to the coil.

supereal    -- 11-22-2009 @ 10:13 AM
  Skip removes the core and old winding from the case, cleans the iron core, and rewinds it. It is then resealed with modern material and the case is closed. Old coils fail because the dilectric (insulation) material used has deteriorated over time, allowing for shorted windings. He does an excellent job, producing a better coil than most of the foreign made repros. If your original coil hasn't been rebuilt, it is a sure thing it will eventually fail, probably far from home.

crisscross    -- 11-22-2009 @ 10:33 AM
  THANKS.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=340