Topic: 59AB Exhaust manifolds

captainlance    -- 11-19-2009 @ 8:33 PM
  I am looking for a GOOD pair of exhaust manifolds. Anyone have a set? (1946 59AB engine)
Thanks!
Lance

ford38v8    -- 11-19-2009 @ 9:10 PM
  Lance, Try posting in the Classified section. This is the forum.

Alan

Alan

Steves46    -- 11-20-2009 @ 5:52 AM
  Recommend checking Ford Barn's swap section and if you do not see one for sale, post a want ad. I have been able to find a great deal of parts for my 46 this way and most are very nice to deal with although beware of the scammers that claim to be from the UK. Also, E-Bay would be another good place to check. Good luck and I am sure you will find what you are looking for soon.

jaxV8carz    -- 11-21-2009 @ 5:08 AM
  I see mention of the 59AB engine frequently. What is special or unique about this specific engine?

supereal    -- 11-21-2009 @ 9:11 AM
  That engine was produced, in one form or another, from the end of the babbitt bearing engines in late '36 until the arrival of the 8BA in late '48 for the "new" Ford. It has 24 studs on each cylinder head, with the coolant outlets in the center of the heads. It is a remarkable engine, and became the standard of its time, surviving to this day in our early cars. As to the exhaust manifolds, it is difficult to find unbroken cast iron replacements. Usually, they must be found in junk yards or similar sources. There are headers available, both tube type and cast iron, but will not look "original".

wmsteed    -- 11-21-2009 @ 10:03 AM
  Instead of looking for 59AB manifolds, you should be looking for manifolds for the vehicle you are putting the engine in. The '33/36 used a "log" style manifold,with a dip for the oil dip stick where-as the '37 and later used several different styles of manifolds.

The 59AB engine originally was used in the '46/48 Merc's. The Fords of that period used the 21A engine. Both engines are 24 studs on the heads, similar to the '38 and later. The 59AB's were higher HP so they became the choice for repowering cars and trucks.

generally speaking, any flat head manifold, 32/53 will fit the 59AB engine, however they may not fit in your chassis.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

jaxV8carz    -- 11-21-2009 @ 1:52 PM
  Thank you for a very clear explanation regarding the 59AB engine.

Stroker    -- 11-21-2009 @ 3:11 PM
  Excellent response from WMSteed. I have a 38 ford
Woodie that has a (not correct) 59A motor. I have
"dressed" it to look like it belongs, but it isn't the
"right" motor.
Nonetheless, it is the last of a long line of motors
that have graced this particular long-suffering 1-
family car. All exhaust manifolds, (including 8BA 49-
53)will bolt up to any V8 block. I have 38 and
whatever, manifolds on my
38. Just because the exhaust manifold came off a 59A
does not mean that you will not have problems with the
crossover pipe, and other frame/engine issues. Nothing
"magic" about the 59A. Just another motor in the
evolution of the "flattie". Some merits, though, are
that it accepts insert-style mains, and will fit most
early Ford's. An interesting footnote is that if you
look just inboard of the water pumps on any flatmotor,
you will see a couple of drilled and tapped holes that
have no apparent reason for existence. These are there
to allow the motor mounts for a 32 Ford to bolt-up to
the front of the engine. I actually used these when I
had a 32 Pickup with a "full-race" 302 inch flathead.

wmsteed    -- 11-21-2009 @ 7:06 PM
  H.Ford, being the thrifty fellow he was, always made sure that each generation of the flat head engine could be installed in an earlier chassis without any alterations.

Once Henry passed away in 1947, things started to change with Ford Motors.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

supereal    -- 11-22-2009 @ 10:06 AM
  I agree, Bill. While the interchangeability of Ford parts was a mainstay of the brand, old Henry's resistance to change doomed Ford until Henry II took over and realized that this same practice had put the company on a downward spiral, and he ordered a completely new chassis that would carry the flathead thru 1953. Edsel Ford battled his father regarding evolution of the design, and it is generally agreed that if Edsel hadn't died in '42, and had been able to take control before Henry slipped into senility, the story would have been very different.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=338