Topic: Need More Advice

Bill T    -- 07-05-2011 @ 11:47 AM
  Thank those of you who responded to my question on the ignition system. I did change out the distributor and now have a good spark. Now I have no fuel.

The electric system seems ok, It will readily fire with a little gas poured down the carb throat, but will not continue on.

The fuel pump is 32/early 33 tall type. I have 2 which were rebuilt in 2003 and put away until now. Both react in the same way. They both will draw fuel from the tank to the sediment bowl in the fuel pump. They will fill the bowl about half way up, but will not push it on to the carbruator.

I have blown down the fuel line and find no leaks. I have also disassembled both and find the diaphrams intact and all the other parts in place.

Any advice will be welcome.

Thank you,

Bill Taylor

supereal    -- 07-05-2011 @ 11:54 AM
  Are you sure you have sufficient fuel in the tank? Is the tank cap vented? Is the carb float and inlet needle free to move? These may seem like elementary questions, but not a few vehicles come to us "on the hook" because they wouldn't start, or stalled, and we find the tank empty. Now and then, we find a radiator cap on the fuel tank instead of a vented cap. As you have tried two pumps, your problem has to be one of the above, or in the fuel lines, either the tank to firewall, or the flex line to the carb.

42ford    -- 07-05-2011 @ 2:10 PM
  Disconnect the flex hose from the line to the gas tank. Make sure to remove the wire from the coil so that it will not fire. Hold a can under the metal line from the tank and have someone crank it over and see if you have fuel in the line. If you have fuel replace the flex line, if not, the line to the tank is plugged. Many times the flex line looks good, but there is either a pin hole or the inside has collapsed

This message was edited by 42ford on 7-5-11 @ 2:12 PM

40 Coupe    -- 07-05-2011 @ 4:36 PM
  It could be a valve in the pump not closing after opening, or not opening or other problems. The pump you have has a gasket sealing the metal top to the die cast body. The cork gasket usually does not seal properly after drying out. Try taking a couple wraps of electrical tape across the joint of this gasket this will usually help the pump start pumping. After running a short time remove the tape, the gas will swell the cork

ford38v8    -- 07-05-2011 @ 6:59 PM
  Bill, I agree that the check valves in the pump are malfunctioning. Some valves are of a fiberous material, which can swell slightly with the new gas of today.

If you can get fuel delivery from the pump with the line to the carb disconnected, but won'tfill your carb, check your carb needle valve. If it is not metal to metal, it also can stick closed.

Alan

TomO    -- 07-06-2011 @ 7:17 AM
  I am not familiar with the tall 32 style fuel pump, but your symptoms sound like you may have the output valve in backwards.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3345