Topic: idle for 20 minutes & stall

parrish    -- 07-04-2011 @ 9:08 PM
  I was in a parade today with a 39 barely out of 50 year deep freeze. The parade moved VERY slowly.
Although the car has idled in my garage many times for longer than 20 minutes, it started to hesitate after about 15-20 minutes and then nearly stalled. I was able to simply pull the choke to keep it going, but it repeated the symptons a few minutes later. Fuel pump and line are new with no apparent leaks. Coil is a new modern tube type. I had read Alan's (I think) story of a battery not receiving a charge after long idle (but with discharge from a radio as well), but 20 minutes doesn't seem too excessive. As the choke kept it going, can I rule out the coil as a suspect? It was sunny and mid 70's in hilly terrain...vapor lock a possibility?

ford38v8    -- 07-04-2011 @ 9:34 PM
  Parrish, you remembered my story, and yes, it doesn't apply here. Idling in the garage is a world apart from working a slow parade in July 4th temperature. Underhood temperatures likely boiled your fuel, causing two separate but related problems:

Fuel in your carb bowl aerated, producing a very lean mixture. Your choke helped temporarily by reducing the incoming air to improve the fuel/air ratio.

Fuel in your fuel pump also aerated, causing a greatly reduced flow to the carb. Your choke had no effect on this problem, and your engine finally stalled from lack of fuel.

Congratulations to me for not finding need to use that most hated term you used.

Alan

TomO    -- 07-05-2011 @ 6:48 AM
  Parrish, to rule out your coil and condenser, just check the spark while the engine is at operating temperatures.

As Alan said, your fuel may have started boiling, but unless you had winter grade fuel, this should not have happened in temperatures under 80 degrees.

Check your fuel pump pressure and fuel delivery to make sure that your fuel system is up to par.

Tom

supereal    -- 07-05-2011 @ 7:35 AM
  As a veteran of many parades, I can tell you it is an unusual old car that can participate without reaching or exeeding the boiling point. The culprit is the lack of fan produced air flow thru the radiator. Some adapt fans with more blades or pitch to increase air flow, but one of the reasons, if not the main one, that you don't see many old cars in parades is the one you had. You usually have to choose between approaching boiling, or slipping the clutch so you can keep the engine revs well above idle speed.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3342