Topic: New Top Iron & Wood Bow Installation

35Phaeton    -- 11-18-2009 @ 5:22 PM
  Ref 35 Phaeton: I am about to start the installation of new Girtz top irons plus two new wood rear bows and a new wooden windshield header......neither of the new rear bows have pre-drilled holes. I do however have enough of the old rear bows to surmise where the mounting screw holes and clearances holes should go...

Can anyone provide the proper/logical asssembly sequence so I don't damage, bent, or drill the holes too soon....etc... Also,what would be a suitable finish for the new bows ?

The car is not painted (yet) which takes a lot of pressure off the situation....

Thanks, Jim

trjford8    -- 11-19-2009 @ 8:15 AM
  Jim, on page 25 of the V-8 Club's 35-36 book it indicates that the top bows were varnished. I suspect that a spar varnish was used.
In assembling the irons I would mount the irons to the rear pivot points and then stretch them forward to the windshield posts. Mount the irons to the header bow and secure. I would then mount the rear bow and then the center bow using your old bows or pieces as a guide.

supereal    -- 11-19-2009 @ 8:18 AM
  Fitting wooden headers and bows nearly always requires some reshaping of those parts, particularly the header. They are not predrilled because each car is usually somewhat different. Someone out there may be able to furnish an approximate position of the holes. If not, try LeBaron Bonney. If you are having a good shop install the top, I'd leave the fitting of the bows to them. As for finish, for unpainted and bows not covered with top fabric, we apply a couple of coats of good quality spar varnish. Some use polyurethane, but the spar varnish tends to come closer to the original finish, we believe.

35Phaeton    -- 11-20-2009 @ 6:00 PM
  Thanks guys....I have started as trj suggests with the addition of some guide wires being suspended from overhead holding the irons horizontal until I get the bows in place...

Jim

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=334