Topic: Chrome Plating

bo8109b    -- 07-02-2011 @ 2:45 PM
  Need to have the lower oval grills on my '48 Merc rechromed. Who does good work and is reasonable?

supereal    -- 07-02-2011 @ 3:53 PM
  The last plating I bought was from the Bumper Boyz. In LA. It was excellent. You can find them with your browser. Plating is becoming scare and expensive due to environmental concerns. I believe most of it is now done south of the border.

trjford8    -- 07-02-2011 @ 7:45 PM
  Let us know where you live and we can possibly send you to a good shop near your home.

bo8109b    -- 07-02-2011 @ 8:08 PM
  Live in S. Wisconsin

trjford8    -- 07-03-2011 @ 7:57 AM
  Im in California, so i can't help much with Wisconsin platers. Something you might want to check is who chromes parts for motorcycles in your area. Harley guys are meticulous about the plating on their bikes, so it might be good to check with those Harley owners in your area. Also if you area V-8 Club member you can use the club roster and call some of the members in your area for a recommendation.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 7-3-11 @ 7:58 AM

TomO    -- 07-03-2011 @ 10:41 AM
  bo819b,

I have had good luck with Courtesy plating in Villa Park , IL.

Maybe Mike Kubarth can recommend a plater closer to you.

Tom

john38coupe    -- 07-03-2011 @ 8:00 PM
  I have used Vintage Vehicles, Inc in Wautoma, Wi several times recently for chroming with excellent results and also stainless hubcap restoration. Their number is 920-787-2656 and I'm from NY.

kubes40    -- 07-04-2011 @ 6:41 AM
  Bob, I answered your question on the Ford Barn but for others, I will answer it here as well.
The Chrome Shop in Wautoma is the best you are likely to find. Steve Campbell is one of the most ethical guys in his trade. He does what he says he'll do each & every time. That is, make your parts perfect and at the cost quoted and deliver when promised.
Vintage Vehicles does NOT do plating. Rather, they send their stuff to the Chrome Shop and add a bit to the invoice.
Mike Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 7-4-11 @ 6:42 AM

john38coupe    -- 07-06-2011 @ 5:34 AM
  The great thing about Vintage Vehicles is if you need work prior to chroming, they have excellent capability or if you need work after chroming, such as interior windshield frame work, its one stop shopping plus the benefits of the Chrome Shop.

ford38v8    -- 07-06-2011 @ 11:28 AM
  John, Your reasoning here is good. Another good reason is that you can usually be confident that the middleman shop has done the homework for you on quality workmanship, and that they will stand behind the work done on your behalf. Many V8 parts suppliers accept machining jobs as a middleman. Even if they are reluctant to tell you where they sent your axle housings or whatever, you know they stand behind the work because it's their reputation on the line and word spreads like wildfire.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3330