Topic: Engine not cranking

carguy    -- 07-02-2011 @ 8:50 AM
  Just when I thought I had all of the problems solved getting my '34 to run now the engine won't crank over. When I hit my starter button (yes I know but I got frustrated trying to deal with the junk NOS foot control starter switches) the solenoid just chatters indicating, to me, low voltage.

Problem is I think the battery is OK - voltage drops to just 5.7 volts when drawing 71 amps. I've never had an indication of a starter problem - no cranking problems a month or so. Battery cables (0 Gauge)were new about 2 months ago. Cables to battery posts connections look clean. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Bill Brown
'34 Cabriolet

supereal    -- 07-02-2011 @ 10:12 AM
  Usually, it boils down to two possibilities: a poor ground, either at the starter, or no ground strap to the engine, or a poor connection between the battery and the solenoid or switch, or the starter. Using a voltmeter, place the leads across each "leg" of the system while you activate the starter. Any reading indicates the loss, or "drop" of voltage in that piece. At 6 volts, it doesn't take much to reduce the power to the starter, resulting in the "chatter" you hear. When checking, also place the leads beyween the actual battery pole and the clamp on the cable. We have often found that acid worked into that area and destoyed the connection. You can determine if the starter is OK by placing a jumper cable between the battery and the starter input terminal. Just be sure that the car is out of gear, and you are clear of the fan, etc.

TomO    -- 07-03-2011 @ 11:04 AM
  If you have the starter solenoid with the button, try holding in the button. If not, try bypassing the starter button by grounding the center contact on the solenoid.

You may have a defective starter button, poor ground at the starter button or a defective solenoid.

Another possibility is that the starter is locked to the flywheel, try putting the car in gear and pushing it. The motor should turn over.

Tom

kubes40    -- 07-04-2011 @ 6:45 AM
  5.7 volts is way too low. If memory serves that equates to about half the cold cranking amps of a fully charged battery.
If you start with a fully charged battery (about 6.3v) and it drops rapidly to 5.7v you either have a drain somewhere and / or are drawing a ton at the starter
and / or bad grounds, etc.
Supereal? What say you?

carguy    -- 07-04-2011 @ 9:46 AM
  Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. After checking everything again I went back to my initial thought and looked at the battery post to cable connections. On second look there was some oxide on the ground post. I purchased a battery post scr*per tool from Sears and gave both posts and both cables a good cleaning and presto! It now starts and runs like it should. Thanks again for your help.

Bill Brown
'34 Cabriolet

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3328